We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

airport check-in

Grand Junction...
13 posts
Save Topic
airport check-in

How early should we arrive at the Cancun airport to return home?

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,625 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: airport check-in

I believe the official guideline is two hours. I go with whatever my private transfer company recommends - which is usually between two and three hours (I figure they know local road and airport traffic conditions more than I do).

Cancun airport can be a madhouse. I've personally stood in line to check in for close to an hour and then had a similarly long wait to get through Security. Arriving at the airport two hours prior to departure would have had me making it to the plane by the skin of my teeth. On other occasions, I've breezed through both check in and Security in about five minutes flat.

I prefer to err on the side of caution because the stress (and potential expense) of a missed or nearly-missed flight simply isn't worth that last margarita on the beach to me. Of course, YMMV.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
404 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: airport check-in

We have always been told 3 hours prior to departure.

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: airport check-in

According to the official airport website, they recommend 3 hours prior to departure for international flights.

asur.com.mx/asur/…travel_Tips.asp

cleveland
Level Contributor
382 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: airport check-in

I always split the diff and do 2.5. i cant stand sitting in an airport for 3 hours lol.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: airport check-in

yep 3 hours is excessive. However, there are those things that happen.....

That is the time they want people checking in.

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
846 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: airport check-in

I head to the airport 3 hours prior and go for some food at the TGI fridays upstairs and have that last margarita before detox back home.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,625 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: airport check-in

I stand corrected - clearly, three hours is the official recommendation.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,151 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: airport check-in

Better to be safe than sorry. We too have been in some horrendous lines. No one wants to go home, but missing your flight is a pain.

Grand Junction...
13 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: airport check-in

Thank You all so much for your wisdom!

10. Re: airport check-in

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 00:40