We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to expect packages to start dropping prices?

Ridgefield...
Level Contributor
219 posts
Save Topic
When to expect packages to start dropping prices?

Hey all!

My group is planning a visit to either CRT or Iberostar Tucan at the end of July. I still haven't booked as the prices are still too high. We visited Sandos last year through Expedia and paid $1140pp for 9 nights. I booked last year at that price at the end of May...think they will be dropping again at this time? I know no once can "predict" but for the ones that have done this many years in a row...any trend?

Northern US
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When to expect packages to start dropping prices?

From what I've seen the prices are much higher and staying higher this year. Most of this is due to airfare and probably the price of oil. I wouldn't expect prices to drop a whole lot between now and July. They may even go up!

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
846 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When to expect packages to start dropping prices?

I am going to Playa at the beginning of August and booked in January, prices were lower then and have been creeping higher ever since then.

I agree with the above post, the price of oil has caused the airlines to raise prices and not likely to drop unless it is a really last minute thing. That being said you even might have trouble with availability as the airlines might reduce flights to ensure they are all filled to capacity, the plane I am going down on is already 75% full.

Ridgefield...
Level Contributor
219 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: When to expect packages to start dropping prices?

Oh man! I figured they would drop a little because of spring break being over and the hurricane season approaching...boooo....

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When to expect packages to start dropping prices?

Last night we booked our 7 nights stay for end of August through Expedia. We'll visiting Sandos Playacar , Riviera section for 4th time. For 2 adults and a child(10 years old) we paid $752 pp. includes flight from New York City.

Ridgefield...
Level Contributor
219 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: When to expect packages to start dropping prices?

OH WOW! That's an awesome deal! I am flying out of Portland OR...flights are over $600pp.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When to expect packages to start dropping prices?

I've been seeing late '12 and early '13 getting slightly lower in some markets. I'm eyeing a trip for August and while it hasn't gone down, it hasn't gone up either, and I'm thrilled with that.

upstate New York
Level Contributor
569 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When to expect packages to start dropping prices?

I book with ORBITZ in Feb for the end June at Wyndham Viva...9 nts. $960/person. I have not seen that price again...nothing close with the good air times i got! Good Luck on your search.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,890 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When to expect packages to start dropping prices?

The higher prices are all about the ridiculous increae in airfare and they can't blame it all on the cost of oil!

Oil was just as high a year ago and and my fare to Cancun was 300.00 cheaper than it is today and that was for a direct flight, now you can only get connecting flights from my airport.

If you find a deal you can live with I'd book it, it's not going to get any cheaper.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
181 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When to expect packages to start dropping prices?

If it makes you feel better we paid about $700 for airfare from ABQ and it is a lot closer than Portland. We booked flights 2 months in advance!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: When to expect packages to start dropping prices?

I'll add my two cents, too. Last week Thursday I booked 7 nights at the VIM out of Denver from 11/22 to 11/29, I looked at the same trip again last night because I am a glutton for punishment, and it is up $500, so I am relieved that I didn't wait.