We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AIRTRAN charter flight seating questions?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
45 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
AIRTRAN charter flight seating questions?

Hi all, I am hoping my trip advisor peeps can help me...I am flying out of Pittsburgh to Cancun on a Airtran Charter thru Apple....My TA sucks!! She blew my chances at first class, they just sold out....I am so clausterphobic that i really needed that space, so now I am looking for some assurance about others options on this plane.

I am looking into the Fire Escape seats.

I understand that you CANNOT book these until you get to the airport, is this correct??

is the only chance of you getting those seats is to be in line at 3am the morning before your flight??

Also, is it true you CANNOT pick your seats, they will assign you seats the day of your flight when you arrive at the counter??

Is there anyway to get your seats in advance on a charter flight?

Airtran doesnt even show our names on the flight and we leave in 10 days..........

Please Help!!

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,188 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AIRTRAN charter flight seating questions?

I do not know about Airtran but many times I arrived at the Denver airport well before the counters opened to be first in line to get my choice of seats.

Is there no website to give you the info and possible seat assignment options?

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
819 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AIRTRAN charter flight seating questions?

I spoke to an AirTran person on the phone today and I'm glad I did. Even though we booked online through Expedia and entered our passport info, they still did not have it in their records and our flights would have cancelled tomorrow even though they were paid for! Good to know!

Call 800-247-8726, press 3 for international and you will go through to an agent. I paid $12 to pick our 2 seats in advance. Escape row seats were $20 each, 1st to board was $15 each. Otherwise, you can go online 24 hours before your flight and claim your seats at no charge, though at the risk of getting a middle seat at the back of the plane...

This was for a normal Airtran flight direct from Denver to cancun, not a charter (?), so your results may vary. Best of luck to you.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,525 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AIRTRAN charter flight seating questions?

I doubt the charter rules will be the same. The airline usually leaves all up to the company chartering the aircraft.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,405 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AIRTRAN charter flight seating questions?

We've always gotten our seat assignments at the airport the morning of the flight with Air Tran charters for Apple from PIT.

Elite class seats are very limited (I think there are only 12 per flight) so you have to book early. Last year we had to skip Punta Cana in June and make arrangements for Riv Maya instead because all those seats to PC were already booked for January! If the Elite (this is NOT first class!) seats are gone another option is to change dates, there might be seats available another day/week.

Edited: 25 April 2012, 12:38
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,405 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AIRTRAN charter flight seating questions?

No sense lining up at 3AM either, the flight probably leaves around 7 and check in lines for Apple's charters won't even be open before 5 or so.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
841 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AIRTRAN charter flight seating questions?

Wow SkiJax! They would cancel the flight even though you paid for it??!!!

Glad I'm not flying AirTran.....I fly out of Denver too and had a choice of Air Tran or Frontier (for $150 more) and am I glad I picked Frontier! There were posts before about Air Tran changing people's flights and adding layovers.

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,513 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AIRTRAN charter flight seating questions?

We have never been able to get seat assignments on Apple charters until we checked in at the airport. I always get there early and have always been able to get the exit aisle seat.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,188 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AIRTRAN charter flight seating questions?

Terminology may be different but I believe that Nemmerz wants a wing exit row seat.

Also note that if there are two adjacent rows of wing exit seats, the forward (front) seats of the two do not recline from my experience. Example, if seat rows 10 and 11 are wing exit row seats, pick a seat in row 11 if you want to recline.

Edited: 25 April 2012, 15:53
Boylston...
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: AIRTRAN charter flight seating questions?

We always book our land portion thru Apple and do our flight arrangements ourselves. We love Jet Blue and it's a direct flight for us from Boston. We also have the option of the extra leg room seats which allows us early boarding. We would rather pay a little extra for the comforts the extra room allows and the convenience of choosing our own seats. We booked about three weeks ago for our November trip and the flight has already gone up over $200 so glad we did it back then.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: AIRTRAN charter flight seating questions?

are the seats REALLY called "ESCAPE" seats? Exit row sounds so much less ominous.