We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local sim card for iPhone 4s

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
5 posts
Save Topic
Local sim card for iPhone 4s

Hi , I am taking my iPhone 4s with me from uk and was wondering where I would get a local sim card from , how you top it up , any costs involved and how much it is to use calls / texts / data.

Thanks , daz

Buffalo, New York
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Local sim card for iPhone 4s

I wouldnt bother, just find a wifi connection and use that unless you have to be connected at all times. Just turn your roaming off to avoid charges!

5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Local sim card for iPhone 4s

I know that their is wifi available but I'd rather have info on a local sim which may or may not work out cheaper than hotel wifi and save a ten min walk everytime I want to connect

Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,485 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Local sim card for iPhone 4s

Sorry, I don't know where to get a SIM card but where are you staying? Many, many properties (as well as other types of businesses) offer free wireless, so it would be hard to have to walk 10 mins to connect...

So I don't know what the charges are for this in the UK or from your provider but if you just want some light access, such as for emailing and occasional web browsing, a pre-paid data package may be plenty. I get 20MB for 25 USD on mine and that nicely covers me for that sort of thing while away from wifi connections during a trip of a week or so.

Edited: 27 April 2012, 14:24
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Local sim card for iPhone 4s

I'm £6 per MB with 3 on pay monthly , I'd think a local sim would be cheaper , it's more the freedom of a local sim and constant access thy would be good , obviously I'll use wifi aswell !

Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,485 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Local sim card for iPhone 4s

Just for my own curiosity, they don't offer international data roaming packages? I probably could have been clearer about that being what I was talking about.

So for example when I know I'm going on a trip, the night before, I call up AT&T and add to my service the smallest and cheapest such package (the 20 MB for 25 USD I mentioned). Then I just turn data roaming back on at any point on the trip that i'm not on wifi and use the "Usage" feature in the settings to monitor how much of that 20MB allotment I've used. As long as I don't connect frivolously, 20MB is plenty for light stuff throughout my trip. When I get back home, I just take that feature back off my service (so they don't charge me for it again each month), and that's it.

Anyway, maybe not what you want to do but just wondering if your UK provider offers the same sorts of packages...

Edited: 27 April 2012, 16:38
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Local sim card for iPhone 4s

Unfortunately they don't offer anything like that , already looked into it.

Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,485 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Local sim card for iPhone 4s

Wow, interesting.

Sorry to hear it! But thanks for satisfying my curiosity.

Yeah, you definitely don't want to do international data just at regular roaming rates!

Billings, Montana
Level Contributor
255 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Local sim card for iPhone 4s

I'm also curious as to where online I might be able to buy a pre-loaded Mexico sim card. Our hotel won't have free wifi and they charge to much for it. When I went to Costa Rica 3 months ago for $20 I got a sim card in the mail for my iphone 4s with enough credit on it for unlimited data for the 2 weeks and enough spare credit for about 50min worth of calls to the US. Surely there must be a Mexico equivalent?

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,424 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Local sim card for iPhone 4s

You can go to a telcel store and they have sim cards available. It's very easy and cheap. You just need to be sure your phone is unlocked. We must have our phone as we need to conduct business and return phone calls while we travel.

10. Re: Local sim card for iPhone 4s

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2013, 10:15