We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Riu to stay at in Playa del Carmen?

Ashland, WI
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
What Riu to stay at in Playa del Carmen?

My fiance and I are honeymooning in Playa in August, and have decided to stay at a Riu, after reading so many great reviews of the Playacar complex. My question, do we spend the extra $$$ to stay at the Riu Yucatan or is the Riu Tequila the way to go, even though it's off the beach it looks to be about the same as the other two sister resorts? Also, can we walk to 5th Ave from the resorts? Thanks for any opinions!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
572 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What Riu to stay at in Playa del Carmen?

after what seems like hours thinking the same as you we have booked today for the Yucatan, mainly for the beach location and i think it has more restaraunts, it cost us £200 more than the Tequila would have cost

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,790 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What Riu to stay at in Playa del Carmen?

Tequila is what Rius call a ClubHotel. It's geared more to families, super casual, and fun, fun, fun. They have a great entertainment team and the place is generally hopping at night with the entertainment, 24 hours sports bar and disco. But, Yucatan is right on the beach and given the 2 you mentioned I'd take Yucatan just because of the beach. We stay next door at the Riu Palace Mexico and if you could handle a few more $ I'd go with the RPM, better food, drinks, service, rooms and you can still visit and use all the facilites of the other 5 Rius in the area except dinner. RPM is also men must wear long pants for evening restaurants except the steakhouse so that's a downer for some.

5th Ave is about 1 half hour walk via the sidewalk or beach (beach could take longer because you might want to keep jumping into the water along the way).

lancs
Level Contributor
2,362 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What Riu to stay at in Playa del Carmen?

Agree with Bob. We have stayed at the RPM and if I was going on honeymoon it is the Riu that I would book!

4. Re: What Riu to stay at in Playa del Carmen?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 02:41