We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question needs answering QUICK!!!!

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
126 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Question needs answering QUICK!!!!

Hi so we take off bright and early tomorrow morning for PDC (woohooo!!) have a question.. So we wanted to bring a pepperspray in our checked luggage, TSA said it was fine so long as it was under 4 oz and it had a switch to turn it off, BUT im trying to find out if this will be ok once we are in Mexico?? Tried calling the customs # i was given but they are closed.. has anyone taken pepperspray with them?? ALSO we have a 3 inch pocket knife I know the rules on packing that in our checked bags but also have the same question about whether that will be permitted in mexico and/or at the cancun airport. The LAST thing we need on vacation is to accidentally break a law and end up in trouble! would greatly appriciate the feedback, only a few hours away!!

Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Question needs answering QUICK!!!!

Please do not bring any of those items with you .You will not need this in Playa ,a very quiet and peaceful place .

Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
126 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question needs answering QUICK!!!!

i bring my pepperspray with me everywhere I go. I live in a small quiet town and bring it even on walks with me it once potentially saved my life. You never know what could happen anywhere you go, and I would never take it out unless I was being attacked. We are also going outside of Playa.. just wondering if anyone knows the mexican law on this, not looking to start a debate on whether I would need it or not, thanks :)

Hilltown...
Level Contributor
2,675 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question needs answering QUICK!!!!

Hi rookiegrl - I'm not sure about pepper spray but absolutely no pocket knives are allowed. We did not know this and used to bring one when we went.

This talks about pocket knives:

tijuana.usconsulate.gov/tijuana/warning.html

Have fun!

Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
126 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question needs answering QUICK!!!!

kimberlyterry, thanks so much for the link! Im sure we will be fine but you never know. All it takes is one crooked person in the safest place in the world... so now that the pocket knife is ruled out, anyone on the pepperspray??

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question needs answering QUICK!!!!

If you don't get an answer here, you might try at the playa.info forum.

http://www.playa.info/playa-del-carmen-forum/

Edited: 01 May 2012, 01:17
6. Re: Question needs answering QUICK!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2012, 11:59
St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,643 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question needs answering QUICK!!!!

I sense doom. Ixnay the knife. Good Luck with the pepper spray. Please don't use it on the obnoxious shop keepers, they are loud but harmless.

8. Re: Question needs answering QUICK!!!!

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 May 2012, 23:35
9. Re: Question needs answering QUICK!!!!

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2012, 11:59
Edited: 02 May 2012, 11:59
Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
840 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question needs answering QUICK!!!!

Not old bay?