We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets Maroma Beach or Excellence Riveria Cancun

Lake Tahoe
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
Secrets Maroma Beach or Excellence Riveria Cancun

PLEASE HELP! I’m an over planner, over researcher and I can’t make a decision!

I just can’t seem to choose between Secrets Marmora Beach or Excellence Riveria Cancun for our Christmas trip. Can anyone who has stayed at both properties please give me any feedback on the differences. We are late 40’s and early 50’s. We both work in the hospitality industry and unfortunately have really high expectations when it comes to the food. We are not high-maintenance, but have discriminating taste. We are traveling from Northern Nevada (coming along way) so beach view is important to us. Don’t care about night life or party scene –though it doesn’t bother us either. We want a luxury experience because we are seriously splurging. Are the preferred clubs worth the extra money if the view is top on the list? The price comparison between the two is about $1k difference. Secrets comes in around $6500 for 7 nights with airfare. I’ve never been to the area and never done an AI before. I’m still in sticker shock on the price (which I know I will get over as I’m truly a believer in you get what you pay for) I have read many of the reviews and I think I’ve made up mind; then, I change it. My gut says Secrets is the one. But I’m one of those people who have to completely and totally rule out all options to know I made the right decision. I’m a complete Pain in the butt! I freely admit it. I’m a travel research junkie and I’m looking for enablers to keep me going or help me stop! Thanks everyone.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets Maroma Beach or Excellence Riveria Cancun

We loved Secrets Maroma. It has one of the most beautiful beaches I've seen and i've been to many around the world. I haven't been to Excellence so I cannot compare. For an AI I thought Secrets had very good food. It's not gourmet but I had no complaints at all. Included wine by the glass was good too, we did not have to order by the bottle as we usually do. We were pleasantly surprised by the liquor brands included as well. Service was A+ and I have very high expectations when I spend a lot of money on a resort. Maroma has been voted one of the top beaches in the world more than once for what that's worth...

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets Maroma Beach or Excellence Riveria Cancun

SpotsMom has been to both. PM her if she doesn't respond. I recommend the Iberostar Grand if you're open to another option. I've been to ERC and was disappointed.

Clinton Township...
Level Contributor
584 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets Maroma Beach or Excellence Riveria Cancun

Go with your gut! PM me with any questions about SMB.

Ive been there twice and feel I can pretty much answer anything you would want to know.

First stay I had Preferred Club Swim Out

Second stay I had Preferred Club Ocean Front.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
276 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets Maroma Beach or Excellence Riveria Cancun

We have been to both and have actually booked our third trip to SMB for November. We feel that SMB is the overall better resort. If the beach is important to you, hands down SMB is the winner. ERC has the X Lounge, an evening lounge on the beach, which is spectacular, but other than that we feel SMB is tops in every other category. You really can't go wrong with either. We have stayed two times non-preferred club but this November's trip is preferred club as strangely, that is all that was available for Veteran's Day weekend. I wouldn't otherwise pay the up charge for the preferred club.

Lake Tahoe
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Secrets Maroma Beach or Excellence Riveria Cancun

Thank you very much for your feedback. I'm going to go with SMB!

los angeles,ca
Level Contributor
197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Secrets Maroma Beach or Excellence Riveria Cancun

You will love SMB!

DFW, Texas
Level Contributor
124 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Secrets Maroma Beach or Excellence Riveria Cancun

Both are great, I'm a beach person so for that I'd choose SMB,I did like the pools at Excellence.The food is really good at both as are the drinks, unless you are a wine drinker. People seem to complain about wine at every resort I go to.I quess it's hard to accommodate that. SMB is a smaller resort which I like.Excellence is less expensive. Both are great, you'll have a great time at either one.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
138 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Secrets Maroma Beach or Excellence Riveria Cancun

Oh my god, I think you are ME!!!

I could've written this post myself. ;)

I'm also torn between these two resorts but I've now added in another 2, namely El Dorado Seaside and El Dorado Royale.

I'm at the stage now that I just want my fiance to take matters into his hands and just bloomin' book the honeymoon as I'm driving myself crazy!

Good luck with your choice. :) x

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,528 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Secrets Maroma Beach or Excellence Riveria Cancun

I would for sure pick SMB over ERC. Been to the Grand Paraiso twice and really wanted to try SMB this time around but it was more expensive. So we will be back at the Grand for a 3rd time.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
104 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Secrets Maroma Beach or Excellence Riveria Cancun

For those that stayed at SMB , which preferred club room did you like the best?