We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playacar Area

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
88 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Playacar Area

We have been to Playa del Carmen area 4 times in the past. Stayed at the Barcelo, Grand Flamenco Xcaret, and Valentin Imperial Maya. VIM is our favorite by far, but I have always been interested in the Playacar area. Adults Only is not a necessity but is preferred. Barcelo is way too big for what we are looking for. I like that Playacar is so close to town, Playa del Carmen. We really want a la carte restaurants for dinner. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you so much. Must be all inclusive.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Playacar Area

IMHO Riu Palace Mexico is what you are looking for. have a great trip.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,727 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Playacar Area

We liked the setting ofbarcelo but we too found it way too big and too far from town. Playacar is perfect imo...either of the riu palaces, royal hideaway or playacar palace are some good choices in playacar. Itsnice to be able to walk into town.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
678 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Playacar Area

We've stayed in the playacar area several times cuz we love the location. Our two favorites = playacar palace and Sandos playacar

UK
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Playacar Area

Either one of the Riu Palaces, The Royal Hideaway and the Playacar Palace would fit the bill.

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
5,001 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Playacar Area

Also look at the Royal Playa Del Carmen right in town as well and adults only. 4 a la cartes for dinner with no reservations.

In Playacar I would look at either of the 2 Riu Palaces.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Playacar Area

We went to Playacar for the first time in March and I loved it - it's great that you can walk ino PDC from the beach or the street - or grab a cab and get there in 5 minutes. We've been to the Valentin also and really liked it - but the beach is so much nicer in Playacar. We stayed this trip at Sandos Playacar - we were with our son so not in the adults-only section. It's a very nice place but the food was just okay - not near the quality of the VIM. I've heard very good things about the Royal Hideaway - and thought it looked really nice - it would certainly be tops on my list.

ny
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Playacar Area

Royal Hideaway is adults only and dining is ALL a la carte with the exception of a lovely breakfast buffet.You can check out my review on Trip Advisor. It is our 2nd home!!!

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
88 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Playacar Area

Thank you for all the help. It seems that the Royal Hideaway might be out of our price range when compared to VIM. Could someone please give us some info on the Riu property. It seems there are a lot of different resorts on the property. How big is the actual property. As I said before Barcelo was huge when I went 11 years ago and now it is 3 times as big and I do not want that. How about Sandos. Is it several resorts on one property? I am not lazy and do not mind walking around the resort but I do not want to spend my time walking for minor things.

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,805 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Playacar Area

Riu Palace Mexico is 434 rooms, Riu Palace Riviera Maya is 400 rooms but RPRM is on a slightly larger footprint than the RPM. RPM is closer to the other non-Palaces should you wish to visit them, RPRM 10 minutes closer to town. Rius are on 6 separate properties in Playacar. RPM next door to Yucatan and across the street from Tequila. the Playacar is a couple resorts away. The RPRM has a great pool, if you like pools, and a 24 hour sports bar. RPRM has 5 a la cartes + buffet and RPM 4 a la cartes + buffet. The RPM is closing August 20 for over 3 months for major renovations. Those who have been before will not recognize it when they go again. All of the Rius, except the Lupita, are easy walking distance from each other. As a Palace guest you can use all the facilities, except dinner, at the other Rius. Non-Palace guests cannot visit the Palaces.

10. Re: Playacar Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 04:42