We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ladies...Why do We Pay So Much to Vaca?

Edmond, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
278 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Ladies...Why do We Pay So Much to Vaca?

1. How many swimsuits do you take

2. Hats

3. Shoes

4. Hair done

5. Nails and Pedicure

6. How many new dresses

7. How many shorts and tops

When you think about it, all that cost as much if not more than the vacation. Why do we do this to ourselves??

North Truro...
Level Contributor
8,661 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ladies...Why do We Pay So Much to Vaca?

The only thing that is vital on that list is mani/pedi. As for the rest....I spend most of my money on a nice resort and paying for my dog to have home care since that is what is important to me.

Once there I need a few bathing suits and some outfits for dinner and I'm all ready for my margarita!

: )

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ladies...Why do We Pay So Much to Vaca?

Yea I have to agree with Oceangirl51. I get a mani/pedi the day before we leave but I do that every other week anyway so nothing out of the ordinary there.

Edited: 18 May 2012, 01:19
Grosse Ile, Michigan
Level Contributor
901 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ladies...Why do We Pay So Much to Vaca?

I have gotten so much better with the amount of bathing suits I take. I used to take a different suit and cover up for every day of the week. My trip 2 weeks ago, I took 3 of each. I also get a mani/pedi, get my hair dyed, and buy an outfit or two(of maybe 3).

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
254 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ladies...Why do We Pay So Much to Vaca?

I typically spend more than my trip cost on prep items. Hair and nails sets me back $275, new sandals $100, clothes/suits $400. Add to that all the cosmetics or travel sized things, sunscreen, other random stuff... I'm at probably $1500. THEN I have to account for paying a babysitter. Traveling is not inexpensive in my world. The actual vacation cost is petty :p. Don't forget about the spending money either. I've tried, but there's no way we (hubby and I) can do a week on less than $750.

Yikes. I might need to rethink our 2 trips a year.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
433 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ladies...Why do We Pay So Much to Vaca?

I have a separate wardrobe for vacation! Lots of things I wouldn't wear at home. Some things are the same, like sandals, the more conservative suits, some tops and skirts.... but there are lots of things I wear in Mexico that I would not wear here! Guess I'll have to travel more to get my money's worth!!!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
right there
Level Contributor
358 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Ladies...Why do We Pay So Much to Vaca?

I've got certain outfits and accessories I only wear on vacation. It's kind of weird but I dont have to go out and buy a lot now.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
209 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ladies...Why do We Pay So Much to Vaca?

Yeah, thats a little much mani/pedi yes. All the rest blaaaaa.....I agree with oceangirl, as long as I have my bikini and a cover up, oh and a cold drink in hand! That is the perfect vacation for me, Im happy if I DONT have to dress up for dinner. " I got my toes in the water, a** in the sand. Not a worry in the world a cold beer in my hand, life is good today!" As Zac Brown band says......

Edmond, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
278 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ladies...Why do We Pay So Much to Vaca?

I didnt even bring up all the other stuff we bringespecially wth kids. I dont bring makeup as I am in The ocean or pool most of the time. I must absolutley bring 4-5 swimsuits that are for vaca only. My other ones are for the pool at home. Shoes, I try to bring water shoes, and 2-3 flip flops. I bring 2 coverups, and a few very casual dresses for dinner. Just makes me wonder why some of us spend spend and spend to look nice with a drink in hand and sand up our ##+s'. Ha!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
209 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ladies...Why do We Pay So Much to Vaca?

LOL..............I guess the more you drink the less you will care about the sand up your a** Just let your natural beauty shine and have a wonderful vacation!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,483 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ladies...Why do We Pay So Much to Vaca?

squawboots asks"

1. How many swimsuits do you take

2. Hats

3. Shoes

4. Hair done

5. Nails and Pedicure

6. How many new dresses

7. How many shorts and tops

When you think about it, all that cost as much if not more than the vacation. Why do we do this to ourselves??>>>>

`````````

I don't know why you do that to yourself, I don't.

Nail care, hair care, pedicures, those are all part of normal life, with or without a beach vacation. Not an extra expense at all.

I don't buy new wardrobe just for a beach week, I just get out a few outfits that I wore in the summer (we do our beach week in January), and take two or three bathing suits from the "collection" that I already have.

I would never buy new shoes for a trip, better to wear older ones that you know are comfy and "broken in".

HATS? People buy new hats every time they go to the beach?

I just toss a baseball cap into the suitcase to protect hair when on the beach all day.