We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A couple of VIM questions

illinois
Level Contributor
150 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
A couple of VIM questions

My husband and I are staying at VIM for week real soon and I just have a few last minute questions.

1. The van that you pay I think they said $18 for round trip to Playa, They say it comes back to get you in 2 hours I think. I wonder if they would let us be picked back on the late van and dropped off with the early van? I hate feeling like I am rushed.

2. Has anyone used Skype from the resort? I know others on here have said they use it in Playa but since we are a little out of town I was wondering if it will work for us.

Thanks

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A couple of VIM questions

The van is $18 each but with what you are talking about I would take a taxi or a colectivo to and from PDC. I think you actually have four hours with the van in PDC. We shared a cab with another couple and then came back and paid for a taxi ourselves one time (sharing the van was $12 for each couple and coming back we paid $25 which included the tip). So it only cost us $1 more than the van. We've also taken the colectivo to and from PDC. That will cost you $8 round trip for two people.

We tried to use Skype last time we were there, and weren't successful doing it.

Edited: 22 May 2012, 16:43
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,623 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A couple of VIM questions

The early shuttle leaves the resort at 10.30 am and is back at the resort by 2.30 pm - which means it picks you up in PdC around 1.30 - 1.45 pm.

The late shuttle leaves the resort at 3.30 pm and is back at 7.30 pm.

I don't believe you can take the early shuttle out and the late shuttle home. There is no way of knowing how full the late shuttle will be and there's a chance that there simply won't be enough space for you.

What Goodspkr did is the best way to go - share a cab to PDC with another couple and then just make your own way back to the resort when you're done.

I don't know why Skype wouldn't work at the VIM, after all, it's all about an internet connection so I can't see that the proximity to town is even relevant. That said, I'm strictly incommunicado when I go on vacation, so I've never tried it myself.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,616 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A couple of VIM questions

We did the same as goodspkr. We hung around the lobby at the time the shuttle was to leave. Just asked another couple who was waiting for shuttle if they wanted to share a cab. We were to meet up with them at a certain time to come back, but we were late. The cab drivers are waiting for fares, so we just said we were waiting for someone (little lie). After about 10 minutes and a couple drivers asking if we needed a ride, they came down in price to $20. Just make sure you negotiate before you get in the cab.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,623 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A couple of VIM questions

The fare back to the VIM should be around $22 or so (there's a list of the fare tariffs at the bell boys desk at the front of the VIM). Make sure you know what you should be paying so you don't get ripped off and ALWAYS agree on the fare before you get into a taxi.

IME, if you ask "How much to x", the driver may quote you an inflated fare. However, if you say "I want to go to x, that's y dollars/pesos, right?" then the driver will confirm the fare and away you'll go. Also IME, there's not a lot of room for negotiation below their standard rates. I once watched a couple of girls get rejected by several taxi drivers at Akumal Beach, including the driver who the subsequently took us. It turns out that the girls wanted to pay $5 to get to Tulum from Akumal which our driver confirmed was "muy loco"!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,570 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A couple of VIM questions

I saw a couple using Skype on the computer in one of the emerald buildings. The van leaves at 10;30 but I think we had to be back to the meeting place at 2 or 2:30.

Illinois
Level Contributor
30 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A couple of VIM questions

We skyped from our room last year and I plan on doing it again in July when we go. I plugged in our computer using the ethernet cord and it worked like a charm!

Texas
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A couple of VIM questions

We used skype briefly earlier this month when we were there, it was fine for a few minutes then the internet dropped.

Ditto on what others have said about the cab to PDC. The cab guy waiting at the resort charged us $25 to get there and we found one for $20 on the way back. It was a very last-minute decision for us so we didn't think about finding another couple to share it with, will have to keep that in mind for next time!

8. Re: A couple of VIM questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 08:42