We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disabled Traveler

Cardiff
Level Contributor
380 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Disabled Traveler

It is my intention over the next year to travel to Playa del Carmen can anyone let me know if the area is disabled freindly (wheelchair) and if any local hotels might be suitable

ny
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disabled Traveler

We have seen many people in wheelchairs in Playa.

. We are often at Royal Hideaway , which is a small (200) rooms adults only upscale property and have seen several people who are in wheelchairs negotiate the property very well. You can request a ground floor room, and there are ramps and elevators which provide easy access to restaurants/ bars.

Edited: 01 June 2012, 17:22
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disabled Traveler

If you use the "Jump to a specific forum" to visit the Riviera Maya Forum there are some tips and suggestions under Top Questions that you may find helpful in planning your trip. The folks here will offer lots of ideas as well.

Have a great trip!

Massillon, Ohio
Level Contributor
86 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disabled Traveler

A friend of mine was actually married at Secrets Maroma Beach last year and her father is in a wheel chair (he can walk a few steps at a time). They were very accomadating to her. Two of their employees actually helped him out of the wheel chair to walk with his wife to walk his daughter down the isle. They do not have a zero entry pool though. I've read reviews on the resprts Facebook page from at least 1 other traveler in a wheel chair as well. Good luck!!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
32 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disabled Traveler

My wife is in a wheelchair and we stayed at the Valentin Imperial near Playa del Carmen. Very accessible resort. The beach isnt but the employess would put her on a lounger and carry out to the waters edge. We went to the town of playa one night and she rolled around fine.Not sure about any of the local hotels. I imagine theres going to be issues in alot of the smaller older hotels.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,551 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disabled Traveler

Catalonia Playa Maroma (Privileged Resort) had some palapas right off a boardwalk into the sand for handicap accessible use and they also had a chair with huge wheels to get through the sand. This was a few years ago, so I'd email to see if they still have this although I don't see why they wouldn't.

This resort is right beside Secrets Maroma Beach, less money, same beautiful beach.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
380 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disabled Traveler

Thanks for all the replys

Allentown, PA
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Disabled Traveler

My husband is in a wheelchair and we stay at the Iberostar Maya in a handicapped room. Everything is accessible as far as the restaurants, bars and rooms. There is a zero entry area of the pool, which I just push him right into the pool in his wheelchair. I can push him from the reception area to the beach with no problems. It's a big resort, but totally accessible.

8. Re: Disabled Traveler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2014, 07:19