We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

It happened to us - travel insurance regrets

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
It happened to us - travel insurance regrets

My mother and I will not be on the 9 am flight heading to Cancun International tomorrow, because my grandmother, unexpectedly of course, suffered a major brain hemorrhage today, and is in critical condition. We booked our trip as a last minute vacation package, so by the time we decided that it would be a good idea to buy travel insurance (for cancellation, we had our medical insurance in place), it was too late to do so.

DO NOT MAKE THE MISTAKE WE DID!

DO purchase insurance - medical and cancellation/interruption coverage is what I'd recommend bare minimum. Going through this is bad enough, but being out the $3000+ we spent on a vacation we won't be taking is quite a slap in the face.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: It happened to us - travel insurance regrets

I say this all the time as well, and it's a good lesson.

England
Level Contributor
116 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: It happened to us - travel insurance regrets

cant u go later just change your dates..... it might cost a few $/£'s more ??

Edited: 03 June 2012, 07:59
UK
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: It happened to us - travel insurance regrets

Good insurance is so important for everyone going on the holiday.

One week before we were due to fly and because we already had the tickets I had to cancel a holiday for 4 due to a bereavement but we had used a good insurance company who refunded the money quickly.

The travel company didn't allow us to move the holiday as departure was 1 week away.

I'm sorry that your grandmother has taken ill and this has happened to you, maybe as the above poster suggests you will be able to move dates!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
371 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: It happened to us - travel insurance regrets

Most people only think of cancellation coverage. But it is more important to be covered for injury or sickness while traveling as it can be much more financially devastating. If you don't have cancellation coverage and lose the cost of your trip, you won't like it but you'll survive the loss. If you have a major medical problem while traveling, it would cost a lot more than your trip. I suggest getting covered for both as the cost isn't that much more.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,447 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: It happened to us - travel insurance regrets

I wouldn't dream of leaving home without adequate medical insurance - and it pays to check that policy closely too as many of them require you to pay the costs upfront and seek reimbursement when you get home. I carry a high limit (and zero balance) credit card for just such emergencies.

As for trip insurance, I don't usually buy it unless the trip is very spendy and/or if there are other factors that are increasing my risk level (e.g. parents in poor health). I appreciate that my potential downside is to forfeit the cost of the entire trip and I'm ok with that (definitely wouldn't be happy about it but could withstand the financial hit).

To the OP - best wishes for a full and speedy recovery for your grandmother.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: It happened to us - travel insurance regrets

I know so many people who think I am foolish for purchasing the whole nine yards of insurance...I always do it...and when my Mom took a bad fall in Playa Del Carmen we were glad we had it!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,150 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: It happened to us - travel insurance regrets

I haven't bought trip insurance in years. We travel multiple times a year, we've paid for several trips with the savings.

That said, we don't purchase packages, so we can always change our air fare. We don't stay at expensive hotels, so if we lose our deposits, or even the full cost, it isn't a huge loss.

We do have international medical coverage, and I purchase a yearly emergency medical evacuation policy.

Thus far, in our travels, and we're 60+, we haven't had major issues or losses. Our cancellations have been weather related, and both airlines and hotels have been great with rescheduling and refunds.

If we ever do take a trip with large up front, non-refundable costs, I'll take a look at insurance.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,819 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: It happened to us - travel insurance regrets

I agree with Llisa.

Travel medical insurance, never leave home without it.

Cancellation insurance, never bother with it, have not needed it yet. If one day we do need to cancel a trp, we will still come out ahead financially, with almost thirty trips under our belts. Risk/benefit analysis.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: It happened to us - travel insurance regrets

I suppose you don't need cancellation insurance until well...you need it. Just thought I'd post this to remind someone that it doesn't matter how often you've traveled without incident, no one is immune to a last-minute emergency, and not everyone is financially well off enough to shrug their shoulders at forfeiting the cost of a week's vacation.

Ontario
Level Contributor
1,758 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: It happened to us - travel insurance regrets

Cloudbuster, so very sorry about your Grandmother. Sending positive thoughts your way.

Also sorry that you and your Mom have to forego your trip to Royal Hideaway. Sincerely hope you will be able to make it at a later date. A great place !

And thanks for posting.