We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recheck my bags at the layover?

Woodbridge...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Recheck my bags at the layover?

We are flying down on the 8th and we have a layover in South Carolina and on the way back we have a layover in Pennsylvania. Am I going to have to pick up my bags and recheck my bags at either layover airports? We are switching planes but not airlines.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,251 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recheck my bags at the layover?

You will have to re-claim them in Pilly as I think you are on US Airways, Then pass through Customs with them. If all ok, then there will be ramp agents to take your bags from you and put them on the conveyor belt. You then go through security and on to your connecting flight.

On the way down, you will not have to pick up your baggage.

Enjoy your trip!

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,696 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Recheck my bags at the layover?

Then pass through Customs with them

I thought you go through Customs with carry on only , not checked luggage

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,251 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recheck my bags at the layover?

Thats right, 1st step is with Immigration, Get your Custom form stamped, Retain it. Go to the Carousel, get your checked baggage from Playa, the wait in the Customs line with your checked baggage and Carry-On from the flight. Then once you pass the Customs Officer, then the checked bags go on the transfer belt outside Customs to their flight, then you proceed with your carryons and such through Security (TSA) and on to your connecting flight.

I think the Security issue was mixed up with the Customs one Van.

But its all good!!

Weston, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,066 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recheck my bags at the layover?

You will pass through customs immediately after deplaning, THEN collect your luggage, then recheck it.

This is just another reason why I never check luggage.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,251 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recheck my bags at the layover?

That would be Immigration first, then Customs. FYI

Weston, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,066 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recheck my bags at the layover?

When you carry-on, customs is just a technicality. We don't have to wait in those lines with everyone who checked had to pick their bags & picked then off the carousel. ;)

Woodbridge...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Recheck my bags at the layover?

Thanks for such a detailed response Dan. That explained it very well. Also, how did you guess I was on US Airways? A travel expert I assume?

Renee, it doesn't sound too bad, but perhaps I will try to pack carry on's only. Skipping the line sounds great!

Edited: 23 June 2012, 04:41
Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recheck my bags at the layover?

Note that IF you buy liquor in CUN airport, once you get to PHL(assume thats where you meant for PA) and go thru customs, you will be REQUIRED to put the liquor in your checked bags...and it may or may not survive last leg of trip.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,251 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recheck my bags at the layover?

Nickie P....Just a few years in the industry....Thanks for the kind words.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,423 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recheck my bags at the layover?

"You will pass through customs immediately after deplaning, THEN collect your luggage, then recheck it."

You dont go through customs before you collect your luggage. Immigration comes first for everyone, then baggage claim, then customs.

And yes, Dan is a travel expert. He always gives good advice.

Edited: 23 June 2012, 11:33