We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do you do first when you get to your hotel .....

Level Contributor
309 posts
Save Topic
What do you do first when you get to your hotel .....

are you good and stay in your room and unpack before you do anything else or do you "hit" the first bar you come across or do you leave all your luggage intact and go for a walk round the grounds, etc? Or something else!!

Would be quite interesting to hear what everyone else does!!

We usually leave the luggage, get a quick change into something cooler and have a walk round the grounds and find a nice bar to sit at and "chill" after the long flight!!!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,093 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do you do first when you get to your hotel .....

the past 4 years we have returned to the same resort, so if our room is not ready, which it has happened a few times, I grab my "to go" bag and pull out my suit, change in the restroom and hit the pool, bar and snack shack for a bite to eat. Seems like we always manage to get there starving!

When it's 3:00, we go back to the front desk and collect our room keys and go to the room. dump the suit case and head back to the pool, beach or bar...wherever we feel like the action is at that moment!

Vacation actually REALLY starts for us the moment we walk outside through the sliding doors of the airport...the humid, hot, and diesel smell hits us and we know we have arrived in Mexico!!! YaY!!!

Prescott Ontario
Level Contributor
967 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What do you do first when you get to your hotel .....

I'm with GFT, we always take a 6:00 am flight from Ottawa and have arrived at the resort by noon. Our carry on is packed with sandals and shorts that we've changed into at the Ottawa airport. Five minutes after check in we're either at the buffet or looking for a lounger on the beach!

Tennessee
Level Contributor
550 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What do you do first when you get to your hotel .....

The first thing we do after checking in is go to one of the lobby bars and have three or four drinks. Then, if the room is ready, we head up there and get our swimming suits on and head to the beach by way of one of the bars located along the walkway to the beach. Then we take a dip in the ocean and go back to the beach bar for another drink. From there, who knows?

That's typical for a first morning/afternoon.

Punta Gorda, Florida
Level Contributor
2,646 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What do you do first when you get to your hotel .....

Hit the bar for a drink, change into my suit and look out beach....here I come!

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
3,357 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What do you do first when you get to your hotel .....

Put my feet in the ocean!

Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What do you do first when you get to your hotel .....

Wife goes directly to lobby bar for champagne for her and beer for me while I check us in (although the resort usually hands her champagne as we get out of USA van). After check in, we stop at lobby bar for our first shot of nectar of the gods (tequila). We like to quickly unpack, then take a walking tour of the resort.

lancs
Level Contributor
2,382 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What do you do first when you get to your hotel .....

I remember last year. It was the first time we had been to Mexico. We got to the room at 6.30pm and we immediately wanted to go to see the beach as we had never seen the Caribbean sea. We stayed at the RPM and those of you who have stayed there will know the pathway down to the beach. It was quite deserted at that time and I remember my first glimpse of the white sand and the turquoise sea. I just rememer saying "Wow!"

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,559 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What do you do first when you get to your hotel .....

As we normally arrive in a country mid-afternoon after a long flight from the UK we normally unpack first, then sit and have a bottle of wine on our balcony before going out for a bit of an explore around

Lancashire UK
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What do you do first when you get to your hotel .....

We get right down to the Tucan lobby bar- see our old pals there and start as we mean to go on.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
305 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What do you do first when you get to your hotel .....

Exactly as GFT says. One of the reasons we keep coming back: we can be on the beach by 1:00 pm the first day. It's like having extra days of vacation! We don't care if our room is ready because our beach chairs always are!!