We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I will not fly Sunwing Charters Again Delays and more Delays

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,440 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
I will not fly Sunwing Charters Again Delays and more Delays

Hello all haven't been around here in a bit but We took a last minute vacation to the Barcelo Maya Palace our 4th trip back to the resort. And our 2ndt time going with sunwing.(1st was Puna Cana 2 years ago) The Barcelo Palacet was great but if your looking to use Sunwing for your flight I'd look elsewhere. We ended up getting delayed 9 hours yesterday.

In over 25 years of travel using Canadian tour operators I've never seen such poor scheduling . While waiting for the plane I spent a few hours surfing flight tracker web sites and found out that Sunwings return flights from Cancun to Toronto are always delayed. Usually these delays are around 3 hours or so. Most took off right around midnight.

Our flight was scheduled to leave at 7:07pm CDT the flight actually departed at 4:30am CDT arriving in Toronto at 9am EDT

From surfing the web while waiting Its not only the Cancun flights its Punta Cana and the other sun destinations. THere are many horror stories reguarding Sunwings practices on the web.

The bottom line is I'll never ever fly Sunwing again, If your looking to book a vacation Air Transat, Air Canada and Westjet all have better service these days

Brockville, Canada
Level Contributor
640 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I will not fly Sunwing Charters Again Delays and more Delays

Sorry to hear - nothing more frustrating than delaying that arrival at the resort! I've heard they always fly late so they can overlap travellers and their rooms so I've avoided them because there departure times are always weird for us (I like to leave really early to get to my resort by noon and then return later in the day to maximize vacation but they never hit it right).

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I will not fly Sunwing Charters Again Delays and more Delays

Three times to three different countries...never had a problem...

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,718 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I will not fly Sunwing Charters Again Delays and more Delays

i was determined never to use sunwing given the stories i had read about. but one trip we decided to book them, knowing of the potential for a delayed flight, and the weird times that they could have you arrive/depart. however we had great depart/arrival times (gotta watch that with any charter really) so we went for it. we were pleasantly surprised...so much so that we booked them for our next trip. and lo and behold...they were awesome again!

weve used the others mentioned and have had significant delays or were bumped with them all. luck of the draw i guess.

Edited: 03 July 2012, 02:45
Chelsea, Canada
Level Contributor
775 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I will not fly Sunwing Charters Again Delays and more Delays

We did use them and were happy with service and no delay (actually slightly ahead of schedule both ways), from Ottawa.

I've also eared/read lots of bad stories about Sunwing, where the common point was a departure from Toronto. So, maybe they need to be avoided when using the Toronto airport.

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
5,001 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I will not fly Sunwing Charters Again Delays and more Delays

They are notorious for being late and having huge delays especially in the winter months...we always go with Westjet from Canada...very reliable and on time !!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,718 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I will not fly Sunwing Charters Again Delays and more Delays

I love westjet but they were the only carrier weve used that delayed us 6 hrs in cancun. No biggie...sure i woulda preferred being on the beach but whatever.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
167 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: I will not fly Sunwing Charters Again Delays and more Delays

I am travel agent and I booked two clients on SunWing from Atlanta to Cancun for the first time. They left yesterday and I felt so bad for them when they called and announce to me that their flight out of Atlanta was going to be delayed 3 hours. They had been at the airport for 3 hours already and to be told they were going to be there for another 3, well needless to say, they were not happy vacationers. I decided then that I will make sure my clients know SunWing's record of delays even though their prices are so far below the other major carriers leaving out of Atlanta. They can then make the choice for price or on time reliability.

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I will not fly Sunwing Charters Again Delays and more Delays

We have used Sunwing twice, both times in April and the only delay was caused by weather problems in Cuba which slightly delayed the plane's arrival for our outbound flight to DR. Service and amenities were great and much superior (IMHO) to Westjet. Also, from my location, Westjet does not do direct flights which Sunwing does. Flight times in April were nice, arrival in PC at around 3:30PM and departure around 2:30 PM. I will definitely use them again.

AS an OP has previously remarked, a common thread to most complaints seems to be Toronto departures.

Edited: 03 July 2012, 15:25
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I will not fly Sunwing Charters Again Delays and more Delays

Token, did you bother to ask an airline representative the nature or reason for the delay? If you didn't, then you are guessing or assuming, and arriving at a conclusion based on ????

Given the countless variables in air travel, delays are not only common and the norm, they should be expected. Yes, some airlines have better on-time departure statistics than others. However, to essentially flame an entire business without providing more information, namely the reason for the delay, is amateur.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
885 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I will not fly Sunwing Charters Again Delays and more Delays

The problem with charter companies is they don't have the resources to swap out a plane if there is a mechanical problem, which Air Canada and Westjet would have at the larger airports. One time flying with Air Transat we were delayed 8 hours because someone on the ground crew clipped the plane the night before and didn't tell anyone. The damage was minor but the plane had to be inspected by a rep from Transport Canada which took all day. I still pick Air Transat when I go on vacation I'm just aware of their limitations.