We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TSA locks on luggage?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
147 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
TSA locks on luggage?

From Canada to the USA we always put on the TSA approved locks?

Are these accepted when coming or going from Mexico or should we leave them off?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,625 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TSA locks on luggage?

We have used them when going to Mexico and even the MIddle East with no problem.

Chatham, Canada
Level Contributor
2,507 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TSA locks on luggage?

Always use our locks from Canada to anywhere we fly and have never had an issue

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TSA locks on luggage?

We also always use them from Canada to Mexico, and will use them next month domestically in Canada.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,631 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TSA locks on luggage?

We Use the from the D to CUN without issues.

Very nice Avatar, BTW.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
222 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TSA locks on luggage?

We have those TSA locks, and I was surprised to find out on our way to Mexico in May, that at least in Canada, they break the lock open, so not worth having the TSA locks.

That said, our locks were never cut on our suitcases, so I guess we just didn't get searched!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
147 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TSA locks on luggage?

Thanks everyone for the info.

We have had them open our locks and luggage on our way back from Disney World as we always have plastic swords or guns in the suitcase.

Thanks again. 19 days To go!!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,042 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TSA locks on luggage?

As mentioned, you will not have a problem with the TSA locks in Mexico---assuming local officials dont want to look in your suitcase. They cant open TSA locks, so they will just either break the lock, the zipper or whatever it takes. When I was at the airline in the US, we often had a problem with this because our customers find damaged luggage when they arrive home and try to blame the airline.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,802 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TSA locks on luggage?

After reading on here some time ago from several people who've had their luggage ruined when the authorities broke the zip to search their suitcases, I haven't used any lock of any kind. I just use those plastic zip-tie things. Sure, they're not going to protect the contents from a thief but at least they'll stop the zipper from inadvertently opening .... and I never pack anything of value (i.e. worth stealing) in my suitcase anyway.

Edited: 05 July 2012, 15:26
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,042 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TSA locks on luggage?

Agree. Llisa. I just use a twist tie or something similar to secure the zipper if I check a bag. If they really want to open your bag, they will.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,551 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TSA locks on luggage?

This will give you a laugh, or scare.

We got the red light (again) arriving this Feb. I had the zip ties on my luggage. The inspector reached under the table and pulled out a "machete" size knife ( I am not exagerating). I had a pair of scissors in my pocketbook (TSA approved), but thought better of offering them for her use as they'd probably be confiscated at that point. I just held my breath as she sliced open the plastic tie. Unbelievable!