We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets Maroma vs Valentin Imperial

Suffolk, Virginia
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Secrets Maroma vs Valentin Imperial

Has anyone been both to Secrets Maroma and Valentin Imperial? We are a group of 4 couples, 2 of us have never been at all, 1 to Secrets and 1 to Valentine. Both loved the place they stay. I have looked at reviews and they both sound great but I like the price at the Valentin better (: Please let me know if anyone has any input.

Thanks!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,287 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets Maroma vs Valentin Imperial

Check for posts by Goodsprkr, I'm pretty sure he's been to both and I think I've seen comparative-type postings (I'll see if I can't dig up some old threads for you; if I can't find 'em, I'll PM him and ask him to respond to this thread specifically).

To the best of my recollection, he thought the resorts were comparable except the beach at SMB is way better (as you'd expect; Maroma Beach is touted as being one of the top 10 in the world) but the beds at the VIM are more comfortable. To the best of my recollection (which is a bit shaky at times!), Goodsprkr has been to the VIM four times and is going back for a fifth visit later this year; he's only been to SMB once.

I've just booked to go back to the VIM for the fourth time. I ALWAYS check SMB (and a few other resorts) before booking because I would like to try somewhere else. However, SMB was coming in at MORE THAN DOUBLE the price of the VIM. Perhaps it's just my frugal nature but having been to the VIM and knowing exactly what I'll be getting for my money there, I just can't justify that sort of a price differential.

Calgary
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,287 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets Maroma vs Valentin Imperial

Not the thread I was looking for but here's a direct comparison of the two resorts - tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g150812-i23-k501524…

Having just read through that thread a bit, I think I may have been mistaken about Goodspkr (I did say my memory wasn't the most reliable!!!). It looks like he's stayed at other Secrets resorts but not the SMB.

Edited: 06 July 2012, 15:32
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets Maroma vs Valentin Imperial

I've been to both. Secrets is nicer but if you cannot afford it Valentin will be just fine. Beach and service are much better at Secrets but Valentin is not low class at all. I'd set a budget and decide based on that.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,528 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets Maroma vs Valentin Imperial

We were thinking about trying SMB or Valentin this trip but the price for the V was not that much more than the Grand (our fav place) and the price for SMB was way more than the Grand, so we chose to go back there.

We just couldn't decide if we thought SMB would be worth that much of a price hike.

Honestly, I think you would be happy at either resort. But, for sure Id check with your fellow travelers and see what the budget is.

Calgary
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,287 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Secrets Maroma vs Valentin Imperial

The VIM was MORE than the Grand????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If that's right, then something is seriously out of whack - either the Grand was an absolute steal or the price-setters at the VIM are delusional.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Secrets Maroma vs Valentin Imperial

Llisa, I've seen that happen with VIM. We are planning a family reunion in Mexico next year and prices seem to be all over the place. I was hoping to do VIM as it averaged in the middle range for the couples but I'm seeing prices all over the map right now. We are looking at CRT at the moment as a result.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,528 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Secrets Maroma vs Valentin Imperial

lol delusional, that made me laugh!

In the Valentin's defense, it was one of the privilege package rooms vs a regular room at the Grand.

The one thing that would be great about the Valentin for a family trip or friends group trip I noticed, was the fact that there is such a difference in the price of the rooms. Someone who wanted to shell out a lot of cash could have their most expensive room but still be at the same hotel as the person who wanted to stay in the least expensive room and still have a good trip. That and the no reservations for dinner policy. I like that as well.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,580 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Secrets Maroma vs Valentin Imperial

VIM is 99.9% of the time cheaper than Secrets Maroma- from our airport (we fly out of Cleveland, Buffalo or Toronto) it's generally 300-500 per person cheaper than Secrets Maroma. I haven't read many bad reviews of either place- but the general consensus is Secrets Maroma is nicer- but is it 600-1000 for a week nicer? (for 2 people)....that all depends on your budget.

PA
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Secrets Maroma vs Valentin Imperial

We have been to both. SMB is difficult to compare to VIM. The staff at SMB work hard to get to know you, call you by name and learn what you like. They are taught to say, "It's my pleasure" and they truly mean it. There are the little extras at SMB such as the barbecue on the beach and at the pool for lunch, the waiters come around and serve goodies. There is extra detail to service here. Ambvience at restaurants is outstanding, spa is good and the beach is to die for but the price now is unbelievably high. I can't believe people are paying it. If folks would stop, the price might go down but it does remain my favorite resort. No reservations and no wrist bands.

VIM is beautiful but easily 4 x larger than SMB. VIM does have a courtyard with live band most nights, the sports bar is loads of fun and Don Migels, sushi and drinks are excellant. There is a nice section of the beach towards the north end and several pools. I did notice small things when we were there - like disrepair to the in pool jacuzzi - not all the jets were working and it was that way all week. We didn't notice anyone working to repair it.

Rooms at VIM are easily as nice as SMB. For the price there is a big bang for your buck here. I think the last time I checked, the price for SMB was nearly $1000.00 more per person than the other top resorts. I love SMB but it's hard to justify the extra price. That's half of another vacation.

Luton
Level Contributor
69 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Secrets Maroma vs Valentin Imperial

I'm off to SMB for 21 nights from July 31st. I will write a review on my return