We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tired of researching... need honeymoon help!

toronto
Level Contributor
258 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tired of researching... need honeymoon help!

Hi everyone,

I want to start off by saying that I have been to Playa Del Carmen about 10 different times...love the area! My family has stayed at The Royal about 5 of those times, and most recently, we stayed at Aventura Spa Palace. I absolutely love The Royal (the luxurious atmosphere, delicious food, and especially the location). At Aventura Spa Palace, I loved the $1500 resort credit (allowed us to get free spa services, go swimming with the dolphins, etc.) and the ability to travel to Playacar Palace, which is right in the 5th Avenue area. Although I would jump on the opportunity to go back to any of these resorts, my fiancee and I (in our 20's) want to go to an all-inclusive that neither of us have been to!

Therefore, the reason for this post.... what resort is better than The Royal and will give us the perks of a Palace resort? Secrets Maroma sounds beautiful, but we will be going on our honeymoon in the summer time, and reviews about mosquitoes and lack of air conditioning scares me! Also, my fiancee and I love 5th Avenue, and we are afraid that taking a cab to 5th Avenue every night may become too pricey due to the distance. Any thoughts and/or recommendations for other resorts? Adults-only is a must....

Edited: 11 July 2012, 23:09
toronto
Level Contributor
258 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Tired of researching... need honeymoon help!

Some other considerations....

- Le Blanc, but we would much rather honeymoon in Playa Del Carmen than Cancun.... does Le Blanc have free shuttles to their sister resorts in Playa Del Carmen?

- Royal Hideaway... considering this place because it's closer to 5th Avenue, but I heard the crowd is a lot older!

- Paradisus La Perla... haven't heard too much about this resort because it's newer!

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tired of researching... need honeymoon help!

Royal Hideaway is amazing. The rooms, beach, pool, service, food are all fabulous. No wristbands required. And the staff keep the annoying beach vendors away from the patrons on the beach.

RH is fun, but it is not a party crowd. There is minimal entertainment in the evening and no really late night parties. But you probably don't want that on your honeymoon anyway. And if you do, go downtown.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,486 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tired of researching... need honeymoon help!

sungirl

If you check our my reviews you will find loads for resort in the general all of which have links to large photo albums

Feel free to PM me with any questions

toronto
Level Contributor
258 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tired of researching... need honeymoon help!

Many people complained about a rowdy crowd at The Royal, but that didn't bother us! You definitely won't find us sitting at the pool bar all day laughing obnoxiously, but we don't mind watching other people making a fool of themselves :) We don't want a resort that is TOO quiet... that's how Aventura Spa Palace was, and I'm afraid Royal Hideaway would be the same!

How far of a cab ride is Royal Hideaway from 5th Avenue?

Floyds Knobs...
Level Contributor
810 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tired of researching... need honeymoon help!

5 minute cab ride. 20 minute walk. If you're drunk and walk back via the beach 90 minutes. Or may be that was just me going OH LOOK SHINY

Edited: 12 July 2012, 00:03
toronto
Level Contributor
258 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tired of researching... need honeymoon help!

Do you have to make reservations at the restaurants at Royal Hideaway? A travel agent highly advised me not to go here because I will feel completely out of place! Are there couples in their 20s that vacation here?

Floyds Knobs...
Level Contributor
810 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tired of researching... need honeymoon help!

You do have to make reservations. I've never felt out of place and we were in our 20s. I just go for peaceful relaxation though because I get more than I want of social big city outings regularly. So it's my unwind place. Anytime we are there and want more we cab into town. It's really what fits your personality the most, tbh.

Chicago
Level Contributor
364 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tired of researching... need honeymoon help!

Look at the Viceroy (the old Tides Playa Del Carmen ) short cab ride to PDC or look at Eldorado Maroma two that I would pick for a Honeymoon both have great villa's with out of this world outdoor showers.

Food and service second to none.....

Been to the Royal the last place I'd pick for a Honeymoon...

texas
Level Contributor
851 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tired of researching... need honeymoon help!

if you are looking for romance, beautiful soft beach, adults only, and great service el dorado amroma is awesome.99% of guests are couples on honeymoon or anniversary or there for romantic vacation..we are going for 6th time in sept.it is however a 15 min cab ride to playa

Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tired of researching... need honeymoon help!

Went to Royal hideaway last July. We are in our late thirties. Crowd was our age and above. Very quite. Walked once, then took cabs to 5th Ave. each night to have some fun. We stayed at Sandals Grande in St.Lucia year before much younger crowd, and mostly honeymooners. Headed to LeBlanc next week, so i can help in that area when we get back and give a conparison.