We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condo rental question

Texas
Level Contributor
88 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Condo rental question

What the general process as it relates to renting a condo? Is there a contract? After making the deposit, is there a waiting period before acknowledgement of receipt? What happens if you're all paid in full and get there and no knowledge of rental? Just a bit nervous as we have never went this route for vacation.

United States
Level Contributor
789 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Condo rental question

Just rented myself. I had to sign a contract. Most give receipts pretty much right away unless it takes like a day or two to cash the check. You should ask for a receipt if they don't offer immediately. I'm not sure which is safer to pay with check or credit card. I assume check.

I myself usually don't go with a rental home unless it's been posted on the vacation rental for at least a couple years and has lots of good reviews. You can buy insurance too if you want though I've opted against it.

Texas
Level Contributor
88 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Condo rental question

thank you. Check has yet to be deposited. Owner may be out of country.

Seattle
Level Contributor
2,064 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Condo rental question

Never pay with check if something happens and you get screwed somehow you have NO recourse however if you use a Credit Card you are protected.

Seattle
Level Contributor
2,064 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Condo rental question

ALso checkout VBRO.com and Redweek.com all have safety nets in place for renting

Texas
Level Contributor
88 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Condo rental question

Went thru vrbo.com but deposit made with check.

Bucks County...
Level Contributor
2,906 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Condo rental question

I also went through vrbo for our November rental. I emailed back and forth with the owner a few times and also spoke with her as well.

I would have liked to use a credit card but the owner does not accept them.

I bought the insurance through vrbo though as it wasn't very expensive.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
310 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Condo rental question

I use http://www.condohotelsplayadelcarmen.com/ they are a U.S. based company and no surprises when you show up. They are also highly rated on TripAdvisor.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Condo rental question

Some rentals also use Paypal, so no one has your cc number and there's security in place for a refund if things go south. That said, you shouldn't have a problem if you've thoroughly checked a company/owner out and looked at reviews.

alberta
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Condo rental question

It is disconcerting to send someone a check without knowing them. If you have done your research it should be fine. I have used vrbo a number of times without incident and have always paid by check. I have never used the insurance although for some strange reason just the fact that it's available makes me feel safer. My owners have always been very quick to respond to my emails and let me know immediately when the check was received. There should be a contract with cancellation terms and what not. It's a great experience and I am sure it will work out and you will love this kind of holiday.

Kansas
Level Contributor
313 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Condo rental question

I have used HomeAway and VRBO 4-5 times in Puerto Rico and always paid via credit card or PayPal. As heehee62 said you may want to choose one that has been around for a while with many good reviews. Last time down to PDC I actually toured a number of condo properties to make sure I picked a great one for Spring Break 2013 with the family and stumbled across an awesome individual, playabreeze.com, that mostly leases out Natz Ti Ha but also has places at Pueblito Escondido and Casa Del Mar (these are all at the Coco Beach area). I chose Casa Del Mar for that trip and used PayPal although I have absolutely no worries since I met Mike in person.