We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much US $$ should you have on hand vs. Pesos for...

Portland
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How much US $$ should you have on hand vs. Pesos for...

We leave next week and I keep seeing posts where people say you should have plenty of ones on hand to tip the staff. At what point do we convert our US dollars to Mexican pesos and when do you tip in US dollars vs. pesos?

central Calif
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How much US $$ should you have on hand vs. Pesos for...

It really makes no difference they are happy with either. They would rather have a US dollar as it is worth more than 10 pesos. Every place takes $$ but it is nice to have some pesos too.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How much US $$ should you have on hand vs. Pesos for...

You can tip in any currency you desire. Americans tend to tip more with US $ (singles). Just as it is more convienient( no exchange). Others tip in Pesos, Being a Canadian, I tip in Pesos so as not to exchange my money twice. when shopping at the local markets, i find I get a better deal with Pesos as the locals tend to divide by ten when converting to US $.

Southern Illinois
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much US $$ should you have on hand vs. Pesos for...

For a family of four, staying 7 nights, we take $150 in ones for tips and small purchases. We alwys bring some home. The vendors will knock the price down some if you pay in USD.

Boston
Level Contributor
342 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How much US $$ should you have on hand vs. Pesos for...

For our trip next week we've stockpiled about $100 in $1s and $50 and $5s and $10s. That said, I believe strongly that the burden of exchanging money should be on us, not on the Mexican workers, so I'll use pesos whenever possible. It's just that we're at an all-inclusive, so I'm not sure how many 10 peso coins I'm liable to come by. I don't exchange money as a general rule, by the way--I just go to an ATM, like at home, and withdraw a thousand peso or two at a time.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much US $$ should you have on hand vs. Pesos for...

We take $1.00 bills for tipping. One reason is there is no Mexican paper money equal to $1.00. Anything less than our $2.00 bill is coins, and that is where I don't want to struggle to convert.

LJR
Saco, Maine
Level Contributor
348 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much US $$ should you have on hand vs. Pesos for...

Momforsun

I noticed that you are from Portland. Is that Portland Maine or Portland Oregon? We are from Saco, Maine and will be in Playa from 4/19 to 4/26

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much US $$ should you have on hand vs. Pesos for...

You can look at it this way-

The exchange rate is $1.00 USD is $11.10 Mx. Pesos.

If you tip in one dollar bills, compared to the 10 peso coin, you are leaving a little bit more. THis doesn't sound like much, but added up over a week of tips, every little bit helps.

Portland
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: How much US $$ should you have on hand vs. Pesos for...

LJR, I'm from Portland, Oregon, not Maine. Although, I've always wanted to go to Maine. Does that count? We will be in Playa from the 19th to the 26th as well.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,504 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much US $$ should you have on hand vs. Pesos for...

We brought 100 in 1$ bills and used them all plus a liitle more on the great staff at the Ibero Maya.

Mermaid by the Sea
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How much US $$ should you have on hand vs. Pesos for...

Whatever you do, don't use US coins for tips. They are absolutely worthless in Mexico. They cannot be redeemed at any bank or cambio.