We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flip flops at Tulum?

Virginia
Level Contributor
69 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
flip flops at Tulum?

Hello... we are getting packed for our trip to Playa in three days and are trying to keep our luggage to a minimum... is it ok to wear flip flops to tour Tulum? they are rainbows so they have some substance. Or, is it necessary to wear tennis shoes? They take up a lot of room:)

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
88 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flip flops at Tulum?

Flip Flops are fine. I have been twice and wore Rainbows myself.

Virginia
Level Contributor
69 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flip flops at Tulum?

Thanks... That's great :)

Panama City Beach...
Level Contributor
186 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flip flops at Tulum?

btheresoon,

I've been to Tulum several times. This past july wore my Reefs and busted my behind in front of a BUNCH of people sliding down a rock down a small little hill. With this being said I am blonde and usually have one bad fall everytime I go to Mexico. I will have on my tennis shoes the next time I walk the ruins. I will take my Reefs in my bag to put on later.

Shreveport...
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: flip flops at Tulum?

Lol "With this being said I am blonde" you have a good sense of humor Julie. I anxiously await a bewildered and offended blonde to retort.

To the OP: flip flops should be fine but tennis shoes would be best.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
87 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flip flops at Tulum?

seems like flip flops are a bad idea. There are uneven steps and lots of walking in grassy/brushy areas.

Panama City Beach...
Level Contributor
186 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flip flops at Tulum?

Flip Flops are a "danger" in the cancun airport as well. Remember the old traffic light in customs as you are exiting the airport? One trip I pushed the button and fell over backwards. Broke the long handle off my moms suitcase who was standing behind me ( a blonde too.) I swear I only have 1 bloody mary on the trip down. Those officials did not know what to do. They just wanted to get us out the door as quickly as possible. If mama and I were ever going to try to smuggle canned hams into the country that would have been the trip to do so.

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: flip flops at Tulum?

I wore flip flops to Tulum and broke my toe when I tripped on a rock:(

Then my ever clever self broke a toe wearing flip flops the next year too:( only i caught it on a chair by the pool. That one about did me in, my pinky was dangeling:( eeeew huh;)

The first yr I went was smack in the middle of swine flu. The news had some crazy stuff on about closing borders while we were there:(

Then the following two years I broke a toe.

My bf says mexicos telling me something...

Duh! I say! Wear better shoes and wash my hands more HAHA! Viva la Mexico!

Happy travels!!!

Arkansas
Level Contributor
154 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: flip flops at Tulum?

I'm a fan of Rainbows, so I know the durability they provide.

However, when I visited the Tulum ruins last summer, I wore my Sperry Topsiders, and I believe this was the correct choice. Walking around the general area for the tour, sandals are fine. But, exploring on your own on the higher parts, it's very slippery/slick! I'm an active/well balanced person, and still had issues in a couple spots (over looking the beach area) climbing back down!

Bring flip flops if you're planning on swimming, otherwise pack a pair of lightweight, good soled shoes!

Have fun!

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,021 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: flip flops at Tulum?

I wear keens for that kind of thing - my feet stay cool, the have good support, and i can climb around everywhere.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
126 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: flip flops at Tulum?

In my case the shoes didn't matter a bit, it was the La Pinta all day and night prior that did me in. Although I still love the stuff, just not the day before going to Tulum :)