We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling With a Group -- Would It Be Rude....

Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling With a Group -- Would It Be Rude....

Would it be rude if the group I was traveling down with were all staying a week, and my DH and I decide to stay longer?

We haven't booked yet -- kicking around times and resorts, almost ready. I know most of them, if not all, can only go for a week, and its a struggle (lack of vacation days, for the most part) for some to even do that.

I was thinking my DH and I could just go back a different time, but it would be so much cheaper to stay longer, than it would be to go back. But I don't want to tick anybody off, either. This is a group of neighbors, and some of their relatives -- so some are people I don't even know.

Rosewood Mayakoba
Rosewood Mayakoba
#1 of 218 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#4 of 218 hotels in Playa del Carmen
New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling With a Group -- Would It Be Rude....

I can't imagine why it would be rude. It's your vacation too. If you want to tack a few days onto the end of the trip, I don't think that would be upsetting to anyone else at all. If you were going with one couple that had never been out of the country, I could see your hesitation, but in a group that large they will have plenty of company on the return trip home. Don't sweat it!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
374 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling With a Group -- Would It Be Rude....

No, it would not be rude.

SK
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling With a Group -- Would It Be Rude....

Have done this on numerous trips. If you can swing it, go for it.

Brockville, Canada
Level Contributor
666 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling With a Group -- Would It Be Rude....

We've been on both sides of that equation and never felt rude doing it, or having someone else do it. A little jealous having to go home a few days sooner - yeah - but we're happy for them, and happy to have been able to enjoy the vacation in the first place!

Have fun!

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,978 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling With a Group -- Would It Be Rude....

I see nothing wrong with it. I wouldn't save it as a surprise, but if you let them know from the start that you are staying longer there is no issue.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,996 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling With a Group -- Would It Be Rude....

Not 'rude' at all! It's hardly your fault if others can't stay longer. We have done it too.

Now, if you are being obnoxious and gloating and rubbing it in the day they all have to leave, that might be a bit 'rude'. Just the act itself of being able to stay longer is not rude though.

Minooka, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,618 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling With a Group -- Would It Be Rude....

If you're paying for your own acation/holiday time - no. if you have the time then do it. You dont know what happens in the future :-/. Have a great time whatever you choose.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,636 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling With a Group -- Would It Be Rude....

Not rude at all. Happened to us a few times at different destination weddings we have been to. We all went down there on the same flight but everyone had different amounts of time they could get away. No big deal at all. I doubt anyone would think it was rude.

Bucks County...
Level Contributor
3,036 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling With a Group -- Would It Be Rude....

I don't think that it's rude either. We are actually coming down before our group this year to have some alone time.

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling With a Group -- Would It Be Rude....

Go for it.