We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When do you find that prices drop?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tennessee
Level Contributor
544 posts
Save Topic
When do you find that prices drop?

I know these types of questions are hard to answer and that there are lots of variables. With that said, we are planning our vacation for the last week of May, 2013. I have been checking the prices (flight + hotel) for about two months now and they have been stable. My question to you guys is this: at what point would you guess that the deals will be had? Or in other words, which month between now and next May will the prices drop, if they drop at all?

Again, there's no hard and fast rule but surely there are patterns. We usually book our vacations for May and we do it in late January or early February. But this time around we are sure of our vacation dates and everything else way, way in advance. So, when might the deals be had? And I will be checking the various sites on a daily basis. I have a price in mind and when it hits that I will buy.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,869 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When do you find that prices drop?

I would google this and look for advice in places like farecompare.com

Tennessee
Level Contributor
544 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: When do you find that prices drop?

Yea, I'm researching it but hoped that some on here would know some trends. Or atleast could make an educated prediction.

Edited: 13 August 2012, 16:49
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When do you find that prices drop?

I book for May fairly often because my anniversary is that month and usually doing the booking in January. I've found the prices lowest. My best guess (and this is only a guess) is that it's not too far out but not too close.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,262 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When do you find that prices drop?

For this past May (though our visit was at the beginning of the month), we booked our flights when they first came availalbe as we use miles and then booked the resort in February. The price didn't actually drop after that for our choosen resort (the El Dorado Maroma).

Tennessee
Level Contributor
544 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: When do you find that prices drop?

Last year I was looking at prices one day in October and I found some huge deals. For a couple of resorts I found that prices were down $250 +/- per person from the norm. Like I said above, I usually am not tracking prices this far in advance and like you, I usually book in January or early February for my May/June/July trips. I'm new to looking at prices this far in advance.

Peterborough, UK
Level Contributor
446 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When do you find that prices drop?

Not sure about the US, but in the UK I have been "late booking" for years and found that the cheapest prices are normally between 4 - 8 weeks before the departure date. They are normally fairly static up to about 3 months before and then start coming down, but after 4 - 8 weeks before, they start to go up again, and sometimes quite sharply.

It's a bit like playing the stock market, you have to time it right to get the best savings :-)

Keith

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,846 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When do you find that prices drop?

I have read that prices dip early Wednesday morning (and I mean REALLY early, as in 4 - 7 am). I have no idea why this is but have checked it out myself and have observed it too.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
519 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When do you find that prices drop?

I have noticed that prices come down around Noon Mountain time on Wednesdays. Usually 10-12 weeks away seems to be a good time also.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When do you find that prices drop?

From here it seems about 8 to 10 weeks away. Not too many last minute bookings here since flights and choices are limited.

At the other end I find good prices about 6-7 months away then they tend to rise. If your not flexible on dates it is best to book early and then relax and start your countdown!

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: When do you find that prices drop?

I would usually find a good deal about 60-65 days out. However last year I booked 4 months out and couldn't believe i was booking that earrly, the price rose and never got down to that level before the trip. This year, I booked 6 months out and the price has risen and has not dropped since. Only question you have to ask yourself is "do I have a specific area I want to go to?" if the answer is yes and you see what you believe is a deal then BOOK IT... one year I played the last minute game and ended up in the Dominican cause Mexico was sold out.. It is the plane that sells out, not the resorts....