We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smaller "local" quaint bars in Playa...

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Iowa
Level Contributor
173 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Smaller "local" quaint bars in Playa...

We are not much into the Coco Bongo types of nightclubs. I feel I can get somewhat close to that in the states.

We are looking more for the smaller, quaint bars that reflect more of the local flair and ambiance.

We like to sit and relax while having a great drink in hand and possibly conversing with other patrons while still enjoying the local ambiance.

Any ideas or favorites?

Thanks!

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,662 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smaller "local" quaint bars in Playa...

Two of the best are the Dirty Martini Bar and Luna Blue's Garden Bar. Luna Blue has some nice laid backed entertainment on Wed and Friday nights, more during the high season.

Erie PA
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Smaller "local" quaint bars in Playa...

You are describing the environment at Luna Blue Bar the best. It is small, with swings, a friendly bartender (Jorge), and after a few minutes, you will meet and be chatting with everyone at the bar and make new long-lasting friends! Luna Blue is the "Cheers" of Playa. Luna Blue is located at Calle 26 between 5th and 10th Avenues. Owned by Cheri and Tony Head.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
526 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Smaller "local" quaint bars in Playa...

3rd vote for Luna Blue. We loved it there, so much so that we are staying there in March. Music was tuesday and thursday when we were there 2 weeks ago.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smaller "local" quaint bars in Playa...

OT3, you took the words right out of my mouth!

Prince Albert...
Level Contributor
434 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smaller "local" quaint bars in Playa...

4th vote for Luna Blue. Not staying there, but I'll be sitting at the bar end of Feb/beginning of March :)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smaller "local" quaint bars in Playa...

Also check out Bar Ranita on calle 10 between 5th and 10th aves. Its cute and mainly locals. Dirty Martini is excellent. There's also a great little swing bar on Constituyentes between 5th and 1st aves tucked away off the north side of the street.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Smaller "local" quaint bars in Playa...

Love the Dirty Martini as well. We are also fans of Fusion which is right on the beach - great drinks and service and they have live bands every day on the beach

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,662 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Smaller "local" quaint bars in Playa...

Tuesday and Thursday now, I can't keep up.

Edmond, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,376 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Smaller "local" quaint bars in Playa...

Damn, we fell in love with the Luna Blue bar back in May....can't wait for 50 days to get back! Jorge is a lot of fun, and when the place is jumpin with live music, etc....its a great time. Then the next night, you might be the only couple there....its all cool.

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
5,001 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Smaller "local" quaint bars in Playa...

Hate to not be original but everyone needs to have a Poppa T's at Luna Blue. Jorge makes some of the best cocktails you will devour !!

Can't wait til Nov to plant my butt in one of those swings and chill out into the Playa night ahhhh I can feel the stress leaving already !!