We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A lesser traveled side trip from Playa

New England
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
A lesser traveled side trip from Playa

We are going to Playa primarily to relax, but would like to get out of town perhaps for four to six hours. We would like to go someplace interesting, but without huge crowds, so I'm not sure most of the Mayan ruins are viable. We've been to Puerto Morelos, Isla Mujeres and the botanical gardens south of Puerto Morelos.

Any other suggestions? Perhaps a cenote? Perhaps something else?

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A lesser traveled side trip from Playa

do you like trains?

…wordpress.com/2012/…

New England
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A lesser traveled side trip from Playa

Yes, but very difficult to do this in four to six hours from Playa...

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,209 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A lesser traveled side trip from Playa

There's ruins north of Cancun...small...El Meco. If you have a rental car you could then keep heading north to Isla Blanca. I've researched it and mapped it out but haven't done it yet.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g150810-i360-k52433…

Post 15 was a kind reply from a TA member, lisaannem who went and reported back to my topic.

:-)

Cool site Katzgar!

Lee's Summit...
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A lesser traveled side trip from Playa

If you can get a reservation (not sure when you're going) this is a very quiet, relaxing place to visit...lots of fun!

http://www.thejungleplace.com/

alberta canada
Level Contributor
452 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A lesser traveled side trip from Playa

I would suggest take the ferry to Cozumel rent mopeds or a jeep and tour the island. Was one of the best things we ever did. You go where you want stop when and where you want. And best of all Cozumel was beautiful!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A lesser traveled side trip from Playa

What about going to Akumal? What about Tulum for the day (pueblo and beach, not ruins), or a cenote tour, or Coba ruins, or Valladolid and Ek Balam, or Cozumel, or Xpu Ha beach?

Edited: 22 August 2012, 04:22
New England
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A lesser traveled side trip from Playa

All great suggestions, thank you. We may even have to make more than one trip out of Playa at this rate!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
433 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A lesser traveled side trip from Playa

You could try the Jungle Spa for something different.

http://www.mayaecho.com/Jungle_Spa.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums?scope=2&ff=11442&geo=659488&q=jungle+spa&returnTo=__2F__&sub-search.x=0&sub-search.y=0

Lacey, Washington
Level Contributor
177 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A lesser traveled side trip from Playa

The Coba and Tulum ruins are definitely worth seeing. Very interesting! We showed up at the Tulum ruins around 10 the first time. The lines were literally a mile long. There were 30 or more buses in the lot. So we left and came back the next day. We got there when they opened and there was no one around. We were done and leaving just as the buses came in. It was beautiful, peaceful, and not too hot. If you go early enough, I promise you won't see crowds!

Same with Coba. We got there at opening. Actually a few minutes before they were technically open and had to wait a few minutes. We did the tour (really suggest this, as it's interesting and you won't get the same feel without it). We then rented bikes and saw everything (it would be a very long walk if you don't rent bikes). We were heading out at 11-11:30 when all the crowds were at the start, just getting the tours. They never caught up to us and we did not have anyone around us at all except on the one you can climb. We had about 15-20 people there.

Just spent two weeks in Tulum and the beaches are amazing! A 1/2 day doing Coba or Tulum ruins and then a half day at Ziggys beach club would be a terrific day! (two for one drinks from 12-6, great beds, shade, and great food!)

Boylston...
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A lesser traveled side trip from Playa

The Jungle Place and the Jungle Spa are always highlights of our trips. We also love the Cozumel Bar Hop Bus. Any one of these would be great for you but the Coz trip is a little longer than 6 hours by the time you take the ferry over and back. It is well worth the $49 they charge.

Edited: 22 August 2012, 15:55