We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Further Thoughts on Riu Palace Mexico

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
Level Contributor
35 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Further Thoughts on Riu Palace Mexico

After completing my review “Perfect Beach Vacation” and reading other articles, I decided to add some comments. Musty odor: if you are sensitive to it, just mention it at the reception desk. The staff will take additional actions to treat your living space in the high Mexican humidity to get rid of a musty smell in your room. Run celling fans to improve air circulation. Drinks: The cocktails may taste weak even for a nondrinker. Ordering a double may not make it stronger to your taste. Tipping might help. Restaurants: the spacious patio at the main buffet restaurant attracts many people who love eating outdoors. Fried tortillas and pizzas were not popular as there was a wide variety of healthy and delicious food available every day. I would say the dessert department was overloaded with cheesecakes. Try mango ice cream. You may like it as much as I did. The juice station has at least 8 freshly squeezed juice varieties at every breakfast. The hotel suggests a dress code (no shorts for ladies) at the restaurants even for breakfast. Bringing skirts and dresses is highly recommended for women. Entertainment: during the dancing lessons and contests in the daytime you will have a chance to be coached by the professional dancers who will be performing on the stage in the evening. The emcees at the live shows announce in both English and Spanish. Learn the RIU Dance that is performed at the end of each live show and take it home. A part of the entertainment is communication with people from all over the world. It is amazing that this resort has gained such wide international popularity. Availability of other RIU’s: Visiting other RIUs and communicating to their residents, you may discover that they liked RIU Palace Mexico very much. If you are a smoker, then you have to show up early for the live night show to grab a table in the open air area with an unobstructed view of the stage.

kent
Level Contributor
295 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Further Thoughts on Riu Palace Mexico

Just come back from the Riu Palace mexico, yes woman can wear short s at any meal,

Most of the above is correct, we was shown the new rooms, as most people who have seen them say you will get a very modern looking room in purple and white, this will be the same colour reception told us through the whole hotel as they want a younger clientel , we went on a day trip to Cancun and saw the new Riu in Cancun and the hotel was purple and white through out so looks like it could be the same.

As far as the smell goes you have to expect it as you are in mexico, when we was shown the new rooms they said you will still get that smell even when the rooms are finished, good tip we was given before we went out was to put fabreze sheets in the curboards , this worked great, never noticed it again after the first day.

Hope this helps.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,092 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Further Thoughts on Riu Palace Mexico

I appreciate your comments nina_swims, and thanks for info, but cheesecake is one of my faves, can't have too much of it!................the mango ice cream sounds great though................

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,781 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Further Thoughts on Riu Palace Mexico

BoltZone, they bring in as many workers as they have to, work 24 hours a day if they have to. They'll get it done. It's mostly refurbishing. Rip out the old put in the new. Work on the outer units during the day so as not to create too much noise at night for the resorts next door, work on the courtyard rooms, etc at night. I doubt they'll be doing the staircase and I doubt very much Mexico has the rules that we do that nothing starts until 6 or 7 am. We saw the position the RPRM was at when we were at the RPM in Dec '05 and said no way they could open in Feb. they did on the date they planned.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,718 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Further Thoughts on Riu Palace Mexico

Yes there can be some very bad musty rooms. We had one at the rprm last year...ground floor south facing....it was horrible. They were very accommodating and moved us the next day to a room with no smell on the third floor.

We were only in that 1st room for just over 12 hours but it took three washings in our washer at home to get the smell out. It was very strong and not even close to the usual "step off the plane tropical smell".

That was the oy time weve had a bad musty room in 6 trips.

San Diego
Level Contributor
100 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Further Thoughts on Riu Palace Mexico

bob, thanks. I think we'll book for May!

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Further Thoughts on Riu Palace Mexico

Vancouver - just a little tip that I read somewhere & I think it works. Just add a little ammonia with your regular detergent in your washer & the musty smell is gone.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,718 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Further Thoughts on Riu Palace Mexico

Thanks ... Hopefully wont need it;)

When out he washer gets funky i blast it with a full cycle using bleach...works pretty good. Probably not too good for the clothes tho so ill try out the ammonia thing.

Im going to try and request something somilar to what we were moved to for our nov trip to rprm....3rd floor was noce but we also had 2nd floor courtyard at rpm and we really enjoyed that. Just that 1st floor at rprm was nasty

Edited: 23 August 2012, 04:13
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Further Thoughts on Riu Palace Mexico

Hi nina,

Just got back from the Peninsula and thinking of staying at the RPM next year. We are alittle confused by the Hotel Amenities. The web site indicates that the "majority of meals and beverages" are included, and that " bottled wine" is available for a surcharge. Are there food and alcohol restrictions??? Does the wine surcharge include wine and champagne served by the glass too? Also, we have a 15 year old who likes to play soccer. Is that an option?

Thanks for the information!

Jenna

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,781 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Further Thoughts on Riu Palace Mexico

Jenna, I think you must be reading a website for some other resort,not a Riu. Here's Riu's website describing everything at the RPM. Everything is included. We've eaten 119 dinners at the RPM over the years and had wine every night and often at lunch. From what I can remember they have wines from Mexico, Spain, Chile, and maybe Argentina and or Portugal. No charge even for top shelf liquors like Don Julio Reposada, Chivas Regal, Absolut.

The only time we've had to pay anything on checkout was when we brought guests onto the resort for the day, telephone connection charge, and laundry.

riu.com/en/…seccion

I don't recall seeing soccer played at the RPM, there's no room. But I believe sometimes it's played on the tennis courts across the street at the Tequila.

Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Further Thoughts on Riu Palace Mexico

Bob,

Thanks so much !