We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's changed in 4 years

Durham, uk
Level Contributor
115 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
What's changed in 4 years

Hi , off to PDC on 8th sept for 14 nights staying at Sandos playa. Was at PDC in 2007 and 8 , love the whole area . A lot has changed in the world in the last 4 years will I notice any changes at PDC ( good or bad ) also a quick question for anyone who has stayed at Sandos , does it have a cocktail/ drinks menu. Thanks in advance

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,742 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's changed in 4 years

In Playa there is a new flyover bridge along Hyw 307. It only takes 3 minutes to get from Playa to Playacar. There are a lot of new shops and restaurants further north on 5th Avenue up near 32 to 38 Calle. Wah Wah's Beach Bar opened this past February, new home for JJ and the Nasty Bastards, wicked good rock n roll. Brand new beach in Jan 2010 for all of Playacar resorts, including Sandos, you can now walk into Playa via the beach.

New restaurants are Mi Pueblo, Aldea Corazon, Lateral, Imprevist and Gigi's on 5th, all really good places to eat.

The Fusion still has the fireshow in the evening about 10 PM, but they have live entertainment in the evening and two different bands in the evening.

Indigo is a new beach club down by 14 Calle and ditto for Canibal Royal way up on 40 Calle and the beach.

La Bodequita del Medio moved from the Paseo Plaza to to 34 Calle and 5th Avenue, still great salsa music.

Coco Bongos is now located in Playa, 10th Avenue and 12 Calle, opens about 11 PM, very popular.

The Little Mexican Cooking School has moved to the beach.

New dessert restaurant called Vera Lucia’s 1st Avenue between 26 & 28 Calle

Yaxche's fine Mayan Cuisine has moved to t5th Avenue and 22 Calle.

Captain Quickee now has the longest and biggest catamaran in the area, located in Puerto Aventuras, getting great reviews from TA.

Kingston, Ontario
Level Contributor
628 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's changed in 4 years

Crap you have lots of great info OldTraveller.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,742 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's changed in 4 years

I'm old Darla, I'm sure I missed some really good stuff. Hopefully some recent Sandos vacationers can add some valuable information. I'm a non AI vacationer.

Ah Cacao has opened a new place for some of the best brownies in Mexico, 32 Calle and 5th Avenue, lovely atmosphere.

El Pirata up on 40 Calle west of 5th Avenue is the best genuine Mexican seafood restaurant in Playa, really inexpensive.

You just have to try the basil martinis at Piola's on 38 Calle just east of 5th Avenue, inexpensive pasta and pizza, but they won't mind if you just have drink.

How about a cucumber martini at the Dirty Martini Bar?

Wicky's beach club and high end restaurant opened on the beach and 10 Calle, right next to the lighthouse.

Jungle Place has really taken off, primo excursion. The monkees play with the tourists and you get to pay.

Yucatreks may be new as of 2008, another primo tour guide for the Mayan Ruins, 3 or 4 different adventures.

Anybody up for the helicopter adventure where you jump out of the copter with a knife and attack a shark?

Edited: 23 August 2012, 01:22
Kingston, Ontario
Level Contributor
628 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's changed in 4 years

I LOVE Ah cacoa

I visit a few times during our vacation at the 5th and Constiuentes location.

I always bring home some dark chocolate bars and bags of cocoa.

I wanted to try Carbonconita's (can't spell today) last year but we never managed it. This year I will.

And who cares if you are old, at least you are getting out and enjoying your life, that is all that matters, and helping give people mounds of info to help make their vacations a tad better.

We have only done AI because I LOVE not having to cook and just go down to a buffet and get what I want ;) But we have seriously looked at renting a place for a week, again the only drawback is having to go out for every meal or cook, which I cook enough at home, don't want to on vacation.

So for now we will stay at The Royal until we are sick of it ;)

Thanks again for all the information. I know I appreciate it as well as everybody else.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's changed in 4 years

It has been four years also for me, since I have been to this part of Mexico. Old Traveller, how far is Coco Bongo's from Hotel Kinbe? I love to sleep with the windows open and hope it's not going to keep this old gal awake at nights! And I think I'll pass on that helipcopter/shark attack adventure and head for Dirty Martini Bar instead. (More my style).

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,742 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's changed in 4 years

Kinbe is a long block south of 12 Calle and closer to 5th Avenue. I can't think of any places close by that would cause a problem with noise. Coco Bongo is on 10th Ave and 12 Calle and they do have it well insulated. The big noise lately is coming from the clubs on 12 Calle and 1st Avenue.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's changed in 4 years

Thanks for the reply!

In January the big noise will probably come from my husbands snoring!

I find the street/avenida intersections in PDC to be confusing; I'm a native of St. Paul's Tangletown on the East Side.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,742 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's changed in 4 years

Here is a nice interactive map of Playa that will help you get your bearings.

www.intheroo.com/map

We had pizza at the Savoy last weekend. Not as good as Punch's, but a lot of fun.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,742 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's changed in 4 years

I can't believe no one has mentioned what may be the best excursion since you were last in Playa. Next to Xcaret they built a zip line park called Xplor. Highest, longest zip lines in the world when they opened. They also have four wheel ATVs, huge cenote swim through a waterfall, paddle boats etc. All inclusive, all day excursion. Easy to get to and loads of fun.

Pittsburgh...
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What's changed in 4 years

This is fantastic thanks! OT - I just copied all these places into a doc for safekeeping ;-) Can't wait to explore this little place in 4 weeks!