We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days in Playa and $300 USD to spend. Suggestions???

Hollywood, Florida
Level Contributor
235 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
5 days in Playa and $300 USD to spend. Suggestions???

Hotel is already paid for, so that doesn't count.

Hilltown...
Level Contributor
2,793 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days in Playa and $300 USD to spend. Suggestions???

Take collectivo to Akumel to snorkel. Eat off of 5th at El Fogon, HC Monteray, Carboncitos, taco carts. Stay away from beach bars for food and drinks.

Have fun.

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,493 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days in Playa and $300 USD to spend. Suggestions???

Okay.....so that is $60.00 a day for food and beverages and activities (and transportation)? First where are you staying? Right in Playa within walking distance of the bus station? Cheapest transfer will be the ADO bus from the airport to PDC @ approx. $11.00US each way. A day trip to Akumal to snorkel will run you about $6.00US for roundtrip transportation via colectivo. If you have your own gear, you are good to go. If not, snorkel set will run you about $10.00US. One more inexpensive day trip would be Tulum ruins @ about $7.00US roundtrip colectivo plus $5.00US entry plus $5.00 cab ride. After touring the ruins (and spending some time swimming there) exit the ruins and continue walking south until you get to some nice beaches with beach clubs. Hang out and have lunch and a beverage. Take a taxi back out to Tulum Pueblo (or just the highway) and catch a colectivo back to PDC. So there is $45.00 spent (plus $10.00 if snorkel gear is needed) and that takes care of two day trip activities which is plenty on a five day trip. That leaves about $250.00 for food and beverages. Does your hotel include breakfast? Figuring cheap breakfast three days and nicer breakfasts the other two, you should be able to get by on $50.00 for breakfasts. Lunch will run you about $10.00-$15.00 each day. Let's say you go to the higher end on the days you had a light breakfast and the lower end on the others. That figures out to about $65.00 for lunches. Dinners can be found in the same range, but let's bump it up a little for some leeway. Let's say $15.00-$20.00 for dinners. Roughly $90.00 for dinners. That's a food budget of $205.00. That leaves alcohol. Approx. $45.00 left for booze. That's $9.00 a day. Three or four beers a day. More if you go the cheap side on food more often. And still more if you aren't a breakfast eater. It can certainly be done, but this is a budget where you will have to pay attention to what you are spending.

Hollywood, Florida
Level Contributor
235 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days in Playa and $300 USD to spend. Suggestions???

Thanks for the input guys.

I am staying at Hotel Copacabana. Not far from the action in Playa. And yes that includes food

Edited: 23 August 2012, 23:43
bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,493 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 days in Playa and $300 USD to spend. Suggestions???

I see you are staying in Tulum two days so move the ruins recommendation over to your time in Tulum and I just found you 17 more dollars to spend on beer in Playa!!! (Not sure why I'm so excited....I don't even drink beer). :)

Hollywood, Florida
Level Contributor
235 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 days in Playa and $300 USD to spend. Suggestions???

Haha thanks. Yeah I'm trying to economize my time and money.

I don't drink much beer (I'm into hard liquor, occasionally).

Akumal, Chichen Itza (partially paid for), Tulum and Xpu-Ha are definites. I found a post about doing Coba ruins DIY through ADO, and partying is a definite. So am I missing anything ?

Edited: 23 August 2012, 23:59
West Orange, New...
Level Contributor
97 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 days in Playa and $300 USD to spend. Suggestions???

This was a perfect suggestion!! I was gonna say almost the same thing.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 days in Playa and $300 USD to spend. Suggestions???

did you type that post on meth MN? oh calm down, just kidding.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,683 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 days in Playa and $300 USD to spend. Suggestions???

300$ US

Get pesos and save10-30%

Why do people reference US $ in a foreign country

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 days in Playa and $300 USD to spend. Suggestions???

Of course convert immeditaely to pesos, or at least some b/c the rate does change a bit. Then spend it all for the biggest bang for your peso.

The Mayab bus from PDC to Akumal is $2. Park yourself on the beach and swim for free with turtles, other fish, (take a snorkel vest if nothing else gear wise) and walk into the supermarket for cheap lunch of fruit, cheese. Get $1 tacos and a beer. Many folks make a half or whole day of it.

I tend to use USD when writing b/c I think it's more easily understood for general costs.

Great input MN.

Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 days in Playa and $300 USD to spend. Suggestions???

Def. get pesos.

Dont exchange in your hotel, the exchange booths give better rates than the hotels / resorts...