We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Palace Mexico refurbishment

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Riu Palace Mexico refurbishment

Looking to book Riu Palace Mexico for July 2013, but I am a little concerned by the pictures of the new rooms as it would appear that the bedroom/bathroom is all open plan.

My husband and I will be travelling with our fifteen years old daughter

and we will all need some privacy to shower and dress.

Does anyone know if all rooms will be like this or are more family friendly rooms going to be available?

We have emailed the hotel but have yet to hear from them ( I know they are closed but would still expect them to access emails)

Thankyou

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,778 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Palace Mexico refurbishment

They certainly look that way Bellinigirl and unless a curtain or something can be drawn to separate they don't look like a good fit for families or any group other than a couple. We have friends, married couple, who we'll be meeting there in Dec and she's also uncomfortable with the arrangement. If you don't hear something back shortly contact Thomson/First Choice or TUI or whoever you'll be booking with and see if they can find out. TUI, which also owns Thomson/First Choice, is part ownership with Rius so they should be able to find something out for you.

Dumas, Arkansas
Level Contributor
171 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Palace Mexico refurbishment

I stayed at the new RIU Peninsula in Cancun a few weeks ago and the rooms there are the same, I think, as what they are making RPM's look like. Our room had a curtain you could draw across for some bathroom privacy - not total but some. Another friend with us in another room had no curtain at all. Not sure why, there was no difference in the level of rooms booked. Stayed at RPM a year or so ago and loved it so much. I didn't care at all for the rooms at the new RIU and hate that I may not go back to this RIU because of the refurb on the rooms. Looked from recent photos though that not all of the rooms were done so maybe you can get into an 'old' room. Also, some of the photos posted for RPM were of the RP Las Americas - I can tell cause I have been there too. So not sure what is up with that - A bit misleading.

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,778 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Palace Mexico refurbishment

Goodgame, the renos have just started a few days ago and all rooms are going to be redone before the RPM opens again Dec 2.

Hopefully all the rooms will have a curtain of some sort.

Dumas, Arkansas
Level Contributor
171 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Palace Mexico refurbishment

I thought there had to be something weird going on with some of the pics that were posted in Aug of RPM. Some of the beach pics were RPLA and some of the room pics looked like Peninsula. Oh well. Again, I loved RPM and hope to get back there again.

lancs
Level Contributor
2,354 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Palace Mexico refurbishment

I really dont like the look of the new rooms-they rlook really garish.No Mexican character, However I cant wait to see what the new pool looks like-did feel the old pool let the Palace down. Anyone know anything about the new pool?

lancs
Level Contributor
2,354 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Palace Mexico refurbishment

PS We have still yet to find a hotel that beats this one for service.

Toronto
Level Contributor
224 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu Palace Mexico refurbishment

I find the open concept bathroom idea to be weird. It seems to be prevalent in Punta Cana and factored into our hotel selection there, as it will in the RM. We haven't been to the RIU Palace in 10 years; it is the only hotel we've repeated on.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,076 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu Palace Mexico refurbishment

Agree Matt..........I don't care for open concept bathroom either...........bathrooms have doors for good reason......and think of all the steam in the hotel room after someone showers..........

lancs
Level Contributor
2,354 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Riu Palace Mexico refurbishment

Any ideas yet on the new pool?

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,778 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Riu Palace Mexico refurbishment

All I've heard is definitely an infinity one and there's supposed to be one or two more and maybe one heated. That would be fantastic for those of us who go Nov - Feb.

Don't think the steam from the shower will make much difference, it's so humid there I can never dry off. All the newer Rius have similar designed rooms and seem to be just catching up with some of the other top resorts with the "open" feeling.