We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Live at Secrets Maroma Beach.. Any questions???

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wilkes-barre...
Level Contributor
253 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Live at Secrets Maroma Beach.. Any questions???

We  arrived at SMB on Tuesday 8/28 and are just getting the feel of this beautiful resort!! This is our first stay at SMB and our first stop as part of our 2 resort visit from 8/28-9/7 ( 5 nights @ SMB & 5 nights @ SSS ) . We will be here at SMB until Sunday 9/2 and then transferring to SSS...  I'll be more than happy to answer any questions you may have?

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Live at Secrets Maroma Beach.. Any questions???

I gather you're picking up wi-fi with no problems? Can't decide if it's worth while taking laptop....not in preferred club and seems expensive otherwise. Did you pay for the service?

Seems like you're enjoying yourselves:) I'll just miss you - will be there on Tues. Is it busy? TIA Mags

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
302 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Live at Secrets Maroma Beach.. Any questions???

Hi Paul! Thank you so much for doing a "Live from...!" I love these posts! I'll be at SMB in October and have thought about doing a "live from" as well, but might be too selfish to take my time anwwering questions. ;-)

Anyhoo, I've read so much about the resort I'm not sure if I have many questions left! Okay, here's one. Can you get lobster at any of the restaurants? If so, are they tails, or lobster that is mixed into another dish? Also, is there an upcharge for the lobster? Oh, and how is the house wine? The reviews seem to be 50/50. I love a good wine, but can chug down some cheaper stuff as long as it's not completely bottom shelf. Thanks for taking time out of you vacation to answer questions! That's very generous of you!

Donnellson, Iowa
Level Contributor
995 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Live at Secrets Maroma Beach.. Any questions???

Sounds like a fabulous vacation. Once you go to Secrets, other resorts seem to fall short.

Ontario
Level Contributor
192 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Live at Secrets Maroma Beach.. Any questions???

Thank you Paul. We're there next week so we'll just miss you. How's the lounger availability situation both in and out of the shade, beach or pool? Are guests really 4 to a palapa on the beach?

Wilkes-barre...
Level Contributor
253 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Live at Secrets Maroma Beach.. Any questions???

@ Bridgenut-

Yes we have Wi-Fi, however are in preferred club...  Wi-Fi service seems to be good, although in some areas of the resort, the beach and parts of the main pool the service is not the greatest. From what I understand they are trying to rectify this matter... I believe you're able to use a portion of your resort credits towards Wi-Fi service so I would imagine you could get some fairly good rates...

Yes we are absolutely loving it here! I would guess the resort is currently at 60-70% capacity...  You'll be amazed!

Enjoy!

@ Mamabear-

I believe there is lobster in many of the dishes , however there is an additional charge for lobster tails (I would suggest you contact CiCi e- concierge to verify this or post this question on Facebook). Quite honestly with the current prices of lobster in the states you might be better off eating all the lobster you can there because the rock bottom prices? All the food that we have eaten so far has been incredible, including the 24 hr room service!

The house wines are good... Everyone's tastes are different in wines. I'm quite sure they are Chilean wines...  Last night we had a Chardonnay and a Cabernet both were very good with dinner... Although I have to say we're not wine snobs? :-) As a matter of fact we're both somewhat partial to New York State wines, that's where we come from... The Fingerlake region of NY however, we have family in the liquor/wine industry and taste many different wines from all over the world..

Enjoy yourselves you'll have a fantastic  time!!!

@ shaffersinow-

We are having a wonderful time and you are so right, that's why we're here!

@ MCobsessed-

No need to fear, there is plenty of chaises available with shade near the pools and beach... The towel game is not permitted here, if towels are left to reserve chaises more than a certain period of time the pool attendance simply remove them!! Most of the palapas on the beach are very close to one another so there's no problem with chaises being jammed up against each other... The weather has been great, a passing shower here and there... But quite honestly it's a good 15 min break from the sun!! 

Have a wonderful time!!!

south jersey
Level Contributor
186 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Live at Secrets Maroma Beach.. Any questions???

We are arriving there tomorrow. What's the capacity right now and did the vacation club people harass you?

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Live at Secrets Maroma Beach.. Any questions???

Thank you, Paul

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,780 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Live at Secrets Maroma Beach.. Any questions???

Paul

It will be great to hear how you feel the two resorts compare

"Most of the palapas on the beach are very close to one another so there's no problem with chaises being jammed up against each other... "

Have you heard any complaints from fellow guest about this as some people are writing the resort off as no longer being a honeymoon destination if they have to share a shade or be close to another couple???

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Live at Secrets Maroma Beach.. Any questions???

How are the mosiquitos? When we were there, they ate you alive right after sundown. That was a couple years ago, though, so maybe they have the little blood-suckers under control now.

Beechluver

Wilkes-barre...
Level Contributor
253 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Live at Secrets Maroma Beach.. Any questions???

@ thriftygirl-

I would guesstimate the capacity to be at 50-70% although we just returned from spending the day at Playa Del Carmen and being Friday it may be a little higher at this point...

No vacation club harassment...

Travel safely!

@ bridgenut-

You're quite welcome! You'll love it here, safe travels to you!

@ Flip!

Hola mi amigo!

I'll be looking forward to do a comparison and a review!

Honestly, I've heard no complaints about  palapas on the beach being close to one another or chaises being jammed up against each other? My only comment would be that if the chaises are to close to one another... Simply move them, lol!

(I'm smiling here)...

I can't even imagine this resort being written off as a honeymoon destination? I can't even count the number of honeymooners that we have met and all have been totally blown away with SMB! I'm really curious exactly what their expectations really are? 

There seems to be plenty of privacy with the beds on the beach if there's not enough privacy there... They may want to head to their suites!

PS... Our friend Ivan says hello!

@ Beechluver-

The "mosquitos" don't really seem to be a problem at all.. In fact even guest I've spoken to who requested first floor swim outs have said that there've been no problems with mosquitoes or any bug for that matter. They seem to have it under control now...