We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Debit cards from Canada

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, Ontario
Level Contributor
14 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Debit cards from Canada

Just a quick question, can you use regular Canadian debit cards on the atms in PDC or on the resorts.(not credit cards) I do not want to carry alot of cash with me. Also are traveler's cheques a good way to go.

wix
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
740 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Debit cards from Canada

Canadian debit cards work fine, and there are bank machines readily available in Playa. Your home bank levies a service charge, so it's worth getting enough money each time so that you aren't constantly hitting the machine. (You'll feel quite rich when you get the transaction receipt, because it lists the balance in your account in pesos.)

I like having some traveller's cheques as well just in case something goes wrong with the debit card or I lose it.

We're just back from Playa; you should have a great time.

manitoba
Level Contributor
246 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Debit cards from Canada

we used the debit machine in playa del carmen and it was fine. Just phone your bank before you go and they should be able to let you know if it will work. We had 2 free transactions so it didn't cost us anything.

manitoba
Level Contributor
246 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Debit cards from Canada

the only problem with travellers cheques is that you need your passport or photo id to cash them(I like to leave those things in my safe in the room)