We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Service question regarding Apple Square Deals

Minnesota
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Topic
Service question regarding Apple Square Deals

We're considering doing the adult only square deal for our trip in March, and when I was searching the forum yesterday to read where most people were placed, I did read one comment that made me wonder. It seemed that poster thought that she was "treated differently by hotel staff because it was noted that we got a special deal everywhere".

I was just wondering if others who have done the square deal had a similar experience?

Donnellson, Iowa
Level Contributor
998 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Service question regarding Apple Square Deals

I think for the most part, employees at any resort don't know where you booked or that you got a special deal. I think the poster went to a resort with exceptional service was what really happened.

near Chicago
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Service question regarding Apple Square Deals

I've done many Square Deals with Apple Vacations at many different destinations and I was never treated any differently than any other person at any resort.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,890 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Service question regarding Apple Square Deals

I also know that sometimes the help at the resort make you think you are special because they say you are....they have no idea what kind of deal you got, this is just a typical thing.

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,792 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Service question regarding Apple Square Deals

That is ridiculous. The staff have no idea how you booked your trip. People get all kinds of "special deals" for these resorts.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Service question regarding Apple Square Deals

I actually took her comment to mean she received sub-par service. Sorry I didn't make that part clear. But I was curious about where they would have noted it, with the exception of possibly check-in.... at the podium where you give your room number for meals? To the bartender at the beach bar or wait staff in the evening? Seemed weird to me that they would know about it "everywhere"!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,438 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Service question regarding Apple Square Deals

I can see how the Front Desk would know you were on a "deal" and possibly it's marked on the guest list at the restaurant podiums (although I think that's unlikely) .... but unless they tattoo something to your forehead or give you a special wristband, there's no way the other staff (bartenders etc.) would have a clue. Moreover, I can't see that they'd care because the price you paid for your trip doesn't affect them.

Edited: 10 September 2012, 16:15
Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Service question regarding Apple Square Deals

I think the only way staff would know...is if people on "square deals" were placed only in certain rooms at hotel. I have no idea if hotels do that. I know that some of them do place Funjet or Apple in certain areas.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,438 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Service question regarding Apple Square Deals

.... but even then, how would the bartender know what room you're in (unless you tell them)?

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
854 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Service question regarding Apple Square Deals

I too have seen reviews and posts about a lower level of service, or being told something like "You don't get a bathrobe because you're in the value category" or some such nonsense-- when a resort's own website says that all guests receive some level of amenities.

I believe the restaurants at AMResorts properties *do* have that info available to them. I had a piece of paper that someone used to write something on for me, and it was on the back of a page of a guest report that included which tour company booked the trip. (Giving me that would obviously be a violation of most corporations' privacy policy.)

At non-AMResorts properties that participate in Apple's Square Deal lotteries, your wristband could be a key to that as well.

Berwick, Maine
Level Contributor
811 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Service question regarding Apple Square Deals

I did do a Apple Square deal a few years ago and did not notice any difference in the service we recieved from any of the resort staff , my problem was with Apple Vacations itself , they called the night before to tell us where we would be staying and we ended up in a different resort. That is Squarely on Apple.