We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jellyfish & sea lice should I be worried????

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
107 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
jellyfish & sea lice should I be worried????

I am travelling to Playacar, which I believe is just outside Playa del carmen next Febuary and have heard that jellyfish/ sea lice are common here, I also have read that the 'season' for them is March-Aug but most likely in April & May. So has anyone got any experience of this? As i'm travelling outside the main season is the risk of stings greatly reduced? I know no-one can predict whether I will be affected by this but I just would like to hear other peoples experiences, this will hopefully help me decide whether i need to look into taking creams/tabs to help with this sort of thing.

Many thanks.

Canada
Level Contributor
5,087 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: jellyfish & sea lice should I be worried????

Playacar is the gated community on the south of Playa del Carmen where there are several AI resorts and lots luxury beach homes. I have never seen any or heard any stories of any sea-lice or jellyfish in Feb, although I suppose they are everywhere. I usually swim daily from Jan to March.

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: jellyfish & sea lice should I be worried????

I've been in April, May, and June. Never been bothered by anything , also took 4 kids who played in the sea all day. No problems there either. The locals said to avoid dawn, dusk and nighttime so we did. Also good time to avoid the skeeters!

Happy travels

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,291 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: jellyfish & sea lice should I be worried????

On the Cancun forum listed under Top questions about Cancun, is the heading : Thimble Jellyfish/Sea Lice, so it sounds as if they are more prevalent there............take a look at the article for some helpful info........

Vancouver
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: jellyfish & sea lice should I be worried????

I go in February every year for the month, I swim everyday. I've never had a problem.

5. Re: jellyfish & sea lice should I be worried????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2012, 12:02
bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,261 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: jellyfish & sea lice should I be worried????

jcfinc....???What???.....The only time we had an issue with jellyfish was January 2010 and it was over in Cozumel. Made for a good story and none of us had any lasting effects that required any ointments or anything. I have seen the smaller purple portuguese man-of-war jellyfish washed ashore along the beach south of Senor Frog's. They were pretty cool looking. Never heard of anyone getting stung during that time. I wouldn't be concerned about it.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,315 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: jellyfish & sea lice should I be worried????

have heard that jellyfish/ sea lice are common here

nope - rare - you heard wrong

jcfinc - to funny

Lice Busters

Edited: 13 September 2012, 02:26
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
209 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: jellyfish & sea lice should I be worried????

Good one jcfinc!!! I have never heard of sea lice...what is that?

Brockville, Canada
Level Contributor
640 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: jellyfish & sea lice should I be worried????

Swam there in March, April, and May and had no problems.

Good one jcfinc - gave me my morning chuckle imagining the face of the desk clerk when asking to be powedered!!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,697 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: jellyfish & sea lice should I be worried????

sea lice are not exactly 'sea lice'...read here:

http://www.buysafesea.com/sea_lice.php

They are the microscopic larve of the thimble jellyfish.

We have encountered them a couple of times on this coast- once at Garrafon on Isla Mujeres (August) and once at Akumal (also August). I would not worry too much- it was just a mild 'tingling' sensation.

Was stung by a jellfish once at the Marietas Islands off Puerto Vallarta...ouch, now THAT hurt!