We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upcoming Stay at the Valentin

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
Upcoming Stay at the Valentin

We are staying at the Valentin later this year and the hotel came highly recommended from friends. I have been reading the reviews on here on and off for awhile and of course there are always (with any hotel) some bad reviews. However, suddenly there seems to be a flood of bad reviews. From bad food, bad booze to a few in-room thefts... Just looking for positive feedback from recent VIM travelers!

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,565 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Upcoming Stay at the Valentin

Food is a matter of opinion, bad booze? (you won't find the tippy top shelf liquor there except for at Don Miguel's....AKA- grey goose is not 100% readily available....mid tier is available) We are paying 218/night for an emerald suite, all we can eat and drink- I'm not expecting perfection....Absolut vodka will do me just fine :)

Thefts? IMHO- I don't believe they happen nearly as much as they do. People get drunk, leave their Ipods and phones all over the place and then blame the staff.

My MIL and FIL went 8 months ago and claimed it 'heaven on earth'...I'm not worried about some bad reviews :)

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Upcoming Stay at the Valentin

In regards to the booze, the review said no mid-level booze as well. Which I thought was odd, since I've heard from other people you can get just about anything here and top shelf is at Don Miguel's like you said. I agree, the food reviews vary so much, it really is a matter of opinion. I am more concerned with thefts. But our friends have stayed here 2x in the past year, so I completely believe and trust their reviews. I just wanted some positive recent reviews to offset the bad review. :)

Thank you for your input!

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,565 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Upcoming Stay at the Valentin

if you want a specific kind of booze ya gotta ask is what I'm told. Order an absolut and orange....or a captain and coke. otherwise you get low end-this is the case at most resorts.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Upcoming Stay at the Valentin

Thanks!

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
840 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Upcoming Stay at the Valentin

I had no problem getting plenty drunk on the booze LOL. I'm a rum guy and always had Havana Anjeo at the pool and Havana 7 yr old in the pivilege lounge.

My only issue was the complete lack of Ginger Ale to mix with the Crown Royal. (not the biggest problem in the world)

Food was awesome in almost every regard, the only problem I had personally was the lobster tails were so thick it was unevenly cooked throughout, again terrible problem to have I know.

I brought my laptop with me and it was too big to fit in the safe so I left it out all week, never touched. I completely agree that the majority of theft claims are either made up or things are misplaced.

Go and have a good time.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Upcoming Stay at the Valentin

Thanks Galstonlad! How big if your laptop? I am planning to bring ours, I think it's a 17 in. Also, can you still get wi-fi in the room if I bring a cable? I saw a couple recent posts, only wi-fi is in the lobby...

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,565 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Upcoming Stay at the Valentin

I THINK it will fit up to a 15 inch laptop? There are photos on the Valentin FB site that show the measurements.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Upcoming Stay at the Valentin

Asmit is correct about the 15 inch laptops.

We've gone to VIM 4 times and are going back for our fifth time in December. I know that a lot of things are a matter of taste especially food but if you look at the reviews 87% of them are either 4 or 5s.

But some things don't make sense to me. Today there was a write up titled didn't meet my expectations. The writer complained about hard beds. We love VIM because the beds aren't hard. They are temperpedic types of mattresses so we find them very comfortable.

The writer also found the entertainment to be very boring. To each their own. It appeared they wanted thing to be going on past midnight, which when we are on vacation is not a big concern of ours.

The resort is beautiful. The beach is wonderful. The pool is huge and striking. And VIM has a big enough footprint that you never feel crowded in or that the area is overcrowded.

As for theft, I find it odd that people always want to exaggerate the incidents of theft. I think it may be because they did something foolish and don''t want to admit it even to themselves. Four time and we've never had a problem.

New York
Level Contributor
163 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Upcoming Stay at the Valentin

I've been reading VIM reviews as well...and w/the exception of the very first review there today, the page one reviews include words such as "perfect, great, exceptional", etc.

One of the bad reviews on page 2 is a "delayed review". I skipped right over that. As for that honeymooner (pg 2) who had her gift stolen (and some clothing)...that's awful. I'm sure that tainted her opinion of the VIM. But, to say all the drinks are sugary? {Order a beer or a voda and tonic then.}

There's always going to be a cranky pants in the crowd. You'll also have the reviewer who has never left home and thinks it's all exceptional. Grain of salt, I say. Can't wait to check it all out for myself! :)

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Upcoming Stay at the Valentin

A suggestion for you regarding VIM. When you are looking I recommend you read all you can to make sure there is a fit. But once you've decided, I would stop looking at the reviews. You can drive yourself crazy doing that.