We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All inclusive - Bring your own cup

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington State...
Level Contributor
38 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
All inclusive - Bring your own cup

Can someone please elaborate on the suggestion to bring your own cup to an all inclusive resort? Do you take your cup to the bar for each refill?

We are staying at the Valentin in November 2012

Spruce Grove, Canada
Level Contributor
327 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: All inclusive - Bring your own cup

I think some people (I don't) do this when there is no beach service. They take insulated cups so their drinks don't melt/get warm. I would rather get up and move around regularly than sit in one spot for hours with the same drink. :)

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,426 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All inclusive - Bring your own cup

Some people like to use an insulated cup, typically one that's larger than the approx 6 - 8 oz size that the resort uses and yes, you'd take your cup to the bar for each refill (or give it to the person providing beach or poolside wait service).

When I first started going to all inclusive resorts, based upon recommendations I'd seen on this forum and others, I took insulated mugs with me. I never used them and after my third or fourth trip, stopped even bothering to bring them along. I prefer to go and get a fresh drink as and when I need it. Also, I don't care if my drink (whether it's water or anything more potent) gets a bit warm before it's finished.

If you want to bring a "bubba", go for it but it's absolutely not required.

SW VA
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All inclusive - Bring your own cup

I agree- I usually leave mine at home too.

I have met some people that prefer to use them because they want to make sure they are drinking from a clean cup.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
303 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: All inclusive - Bring your own cup

and a bubba keeps the drinks cold for a few hours...not that you have it that long in there but less garbage and less times to the bar.

long island, ny
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: All inclusive - Bring your own cup

I took them on our first 2 trips and never used them.

I prefer my drinks in the appropriate shaped plasticware...LOL

It just looks prettier!:)

Last trip to DRC, the beach waitress got a lesson from a guy in a suit....apparantly she wasn't garnishing properly....she had watermelon rind up instead of to the side! They do try to make them look nice for you!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,681 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: All inclusive - Bring your own cup

...and some bring them so that they are not contributing to the huge amount of plastic cup trash that is generated...that is if the resort has plastic cups for the beach...some do some dont.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,558 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: All inclusive - Bring your own cup

We aren't using the huge bubba mugs- we are getting ours off amazon.com- it's the 20 oz bubbas. We will head to the bar- have the bartender make us a mango tango that's a 20oz size, tip generously- head to the beach and come back 1-1.5 hours later for another :) otherwise the bartender is stuck making an 8oz mango tango for me every 30 minutes. Saves both of us time and we tip like we are getting 3 drinks each time instead of one :) EASY PEASY :)

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
5,001 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: All inclusive - Bring your own cup

We don't take any cups down with us...we just use what the resorts supply. We see the poor little pool/beach servers carrying these giant 54 oz insulated mugs around ready to fall over. I think these mugs are about as classy as a spam sandwich !! Leave em at home and use what the resort supplies.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,558 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: All inclusive - Bring your own cup

I'd never make them carry them back and forth. We get up and go to the bar EVERY time.

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,107 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: All inclusive - Bring your own cup

If you are a water drinker it sure is nice to have an insulated cup to keep your ice water in. :)