We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water and Ice at Resorts ?

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
17 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Water and Ice at Resorts ?

A friend warned me to make my own ice cubes in the fridge from bottled water to put in my drinks and not to drink any colas or drink mixers from the fountains because the water in Mexico can make you sick.. This seems crazy to me. The water must be filtered and safe to drink at these places. Any thoughts ?

Berwick, Maine
Level Contributor
811 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water and Ice at Resorts ?

The ice and water served in the resorts is purified , I wouldn't drink or brush my teeth with the tap water. Listen the resorts don't want you or anybody getting sick , they want you to have a great time and go home and tell everyone at home what a great time you had. Stay with bottled water while on vacation and don't worry about the ice. Drink plenty and have a great time .

SW VA
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water and Ice at Resorts ?

It is crazy New York--- About 12 trips to the area so far and never had an issue. It couldn't hurt to use bottled water to brush your teeth but I have always used the tap water with no problems.

Ocean City, New...
Level Contributor
565 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Water and Ice at Resorts ?

Quick answer...Your friend is completely incorrect!

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,580 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Water and Ice at Resorts ?

Your friend needs to come out of the dark ages! The resorts have water purification systems. As stated, I wouldn't go so far as to drink tap water, but the ice and water served in the resort restaurants is fine to drink.

Kingston, Ontario
Level Contributor
628 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Water and Ice at Resorts ?

We always use the ice at resorts as well as cola.

I brush my teeth with tap water but rinse/swallow with bottled.

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
17 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Water and Ice at Resorts ?

Thanks All. Just as I thought. Leaving for SMB on the 12th and cant wait.

Milford Michigan
Level Contributor
821 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Water and Ice at Resorts ?

Darla, We, too, use the tap water for brushing teeth , unless the resort has specific instructions not to.....such as a skull and crossbones by the tap.

ny
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Water and Ice at Resorts ?

Water and ice are fiine. I drink bottled water in NY, so I drink bottled in Playa. However, when dining at a resort,it is absolutely fine to drink the water that your server pours from a pitcher. We use a ton of ice . It too is made from purified water

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
5,001 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Water and Ice at Resorts ?

Where do people get this ridiculous crap from??? Some people need to come out from under the rock they live under and see reality for a few minutes. I bet the same people told you it wasn't safe there also.

Of course the water and ice cubes are fine to drink...what you think it is full of sick people who drank bad water/ice cubes or full of people pulling around coolers with their own wtaer and ice cube trays LMFAO !!

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
17 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Water and Ice at Resorts ?

I know I feel stupid enough as it is and yes the same guys who are telling me the whole country is unsafe. The same guys who never leave the county let alone the country. Im just getting last minute jitters I guess.......