We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around

Bakersfield...
Level Contributor
262 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Getting around

Have decided to do Tulum/Akumel in one day and Xel in another. My question is transportation. I know I can get a taxi from the hotel but what about the return trip.We don't want to prearrange a time as we don't know how long we will want to be. Any itinerary suggestions for Tulum/Akumel day. Particularly want to swim with turtles. Can we get snorkling gear from Akumel or do we take from our hotel????? Can we walk from Tulum ruins into Tulum??? How far from Tulum to Akumel? Thanks.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,776 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around

I would suggest taking the ADO bus from Playa del Carmen to the Tulum Ruins early in the morning. They are located on the corner of 5th Avenue and Juarez Ave. Tour the ruins early and then take a taxi to Akumal Bay. There will be taxis available to take you back to your resort or hotel just across the street. You could also walk back to Hyw 307 and take the next colectivo.

The Akumal Dive Shop & The Akumal Dive Center both rent equipment, about $15 to 20 usd to rent everything. They are located on either side of Lol Ha restaurant which looks out at thye turtle feeding grounds. The snorkeling shops will tell you where to find the turtles or will arrange for a guide to show you the different sea life and turtles. Make sure you get a life vest so you can hover over the turtles and watch them. Wear a tee shirt or put on some biodegradable sunscreen that won't harm the coral.

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around

There will be taxi's lined up at Tulum. No problem to get one. You can rent snorkeling gear from the dive shop right there on the beach in town. It is too far to walk from Tulum to Akumal. Get another taxi. OR rent a car for a day or two.

Edited: 07 October 2012, 17:13
St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,776 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around

Here is a map of Akumal. Click on the printable map and it will give you the best and largest view of Akumal. Yal Ku lagoon should be included in your day adventure. And perhaps dinner at La Buena Vida on Half Moon Bay when you are all done.

www.sac-be.com/maps_travel.shtml

Visit the Akumal Forum for more tips.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,430 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around

Taxis are available by the white arches in Akumal and anywhere by thew Ruins or town (pueblo) of Tulum. The Ruins are about 1+km to the Pueblo. Look at the maps at www.todotulum.com. The beaches of Tulum at 10+ km long

Tulum to Akumal is about 15 minutes by taxi or colectivo. Either of the 2 dive shops on either side of the Lol-ha restaurant rent gear - your choice (about 150-170 pesos)

Here is SunDog's 5 star excursion to Akumal

My recommendation (better than a paid excursion)

Take a taxi /colectivo to Akumal

By the white arches, rent a golf cart for 4 hrs ($20)

get directions and head to Yal-Ku lagoon for snorkelling $11us (in the morning between 830 - 11 am )

motor back to La Beuna Vida (LBV ) for lunch / refreshments - walk the beach - snorkel in Half Moon Bay if calm - see all the coatis come out by LBV

head back to Akumal for more snorkeling / food / refreshments - hire a snorkel guide from the dive shop if you want to find the best with limited time

Snorkel maps, photos, and much more over in the Akumal Top Questions

On another day, do Sundog's Tulum Beach Bar crawl

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g499445-i9177-k5170…

Edited: 07 October 2012, 17:24
Bakersfield...
Level Contributor
262 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting around

Wow thanks for the quick replies. Exactly the info I was after.

NEWPORT BEACH,CA
Level Contributor
596 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting around

When I was there last year the taxi driver offered to wait around for us at Aukumel and then took us to the Lagoon and then back to Aukumel to return our snorkel gear. He just wanted the same rate each way which I think it was $30 or $60 total. The reason is because he didn't want to go back to Playa empty. He said Playa taxis are not allowed to pick up new fares in Aukumel and Aukumel taxis are not allowed to pick up in Playa.

7. Re: Getting around

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 19:17