We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a small luxury hotel with great beach/swimming

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
43 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a small luxury hotel with great beach/swimming

Does anyone have advice for hotels in the Riviera Maya? Looking for a hotel on the smaller side with great food/service/spa...for approx $400-$500/night. Beach swimming is really important for my boyfriend, and I am wary of the rocky beach water that is found further south near Playa del Carmen. That being said, seems like all the lux resorts (Rosewood, Banyan Tree) are in that "rocky" area.

I read reviews of Maroma...but the outrageous food prices are a turnoff. Also looked at Zoetry...but again - seems like the beach is not good. Secrets Maroma seemed like a good beach, but I am worried about that "large, impersonal" resort vibe. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Have read so many reviews my head is spinning!

Mentioned in this post
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Bucks County...
Level Contributor
3,022 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a small luxury hotel with great beach/swimming

If you're interested in a non AI, I highly recommend El Taj. It's a beautiful condo/resort on a great part of the beach. The service is amazing and there is a restaurant, beach club and massage hut on-site. You would be able to enjoy all of the restaurants that Playa has to offer too.

Choctaw, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
324 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a small luxury hotel with great beach/swimming

You might take a look at El Dorado Maroma. It has less than 100 rooms so it is small and intimate. The beach is absolutley stunning. There is never a problem getting a beach bed or loungers. There are two pools with swim-up bars and 4 restaurants, 2 serve breakfast and lunch and 3 serve dinner.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a small luxury hotel with great beach/swimming

Try Petite Lafite for a small persnoal hotel on a nice beach- great staff & good food.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,972 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a small luxury hotel with great beach/swimming

Mahekal. :) GREAT beach. Small. North end of Playa.

Floyds Knobs...
Level Contributor
830 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a small luxury hotel with great beach/swimming

Royal Hideaway!

ny
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a small luxury hotel with great beach/swimming

I too believe that Royal Hideaway will meet your needs.

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a small luxury hotel with great beach/swimming

Luxury? High end within your budget? Great personal service? Great beach and swimming?

ROYAL HIDEAWAY no need to look elsewhere. All Inclusive luxury.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,709 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for a small luxury hotel with great beach/swimming

Hands down the EDM. As Okie said, it is only 99 rooms, is adults only and all inclusive. The beach is beautiful and the staff is superb. The food and drinks are top notch and you can do as much or as little as you want. The Maroma Paradise Marina is just next door should you fancy any adventures. We return on November 21st for our 7th visit and can't wait!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
43 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for a small luxury hotel with great beach/swimming

Wow! - thank you everyone for the input. I will check out these suggestions right away. Thank you SO much!

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for a small luxury hotel with great beach/swimming

<Hands down the EDM.>

Ditto that. We prefer small scale resorts and EDM is perfect, with a postcard perfect, uncrowded beach and calm waters. Lovely rooms, three pools and a wonderful staff.