We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valentin or El Dorado Seaside for Honeymoon?

St. Louis
6 posts
Save Topic
Valentin or El Dorado Seaside for Honeymoon?

Hello! Trying to decide between Valentin Imperial Maya and El Dorado Seaside Suites for our honeymoon. We are going to book this week.

We have been to Valentin before and really liked it. We have also been to El Dorado Royale (not Seaside) and loved everything about it except for the beach.

Has anyone been to both VIM and EDSS? If so, could you give some info on differences between them? We are mainly interested in the differences between the beaches, food choices/quality, outdoor dining options, and whether the beachfront suites provide a view.

Thank you!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
231 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Valentin or El Dorado Seaside for Honeymoon?

We have stayed at Both.. We Loved the Seaside but then we discovered the VIM.. Seaside has a shorter beach but more of it is swimmable. It was an older crowd when we were there .. smaller pools.. The negative at the Seaside was the terrible smell of sewage . emitting from some of the buildings.. They tell you its because of the Jungle..But not true !! The bathrooms are not vented so the sewage gas backs up in the drains..

We are back to the VIM for our 4th visit in 3 weeks .. so 4 years out of 5 should be a solid recommendation for you.

Oh we also stayed at the Royale before we found the Seaside. Loved the restauarants but lack of beach was certainly a contributing factor to not going back

Edited: 23 October 2012, 00:47
Toronto
Level Contributor
330 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Valentin or El Dorado Seaside for Honeymoon?

Hi Beth,

Congrats on your wedding. I have been to EDSS last January. I haven't been to VIM but my parents have been about three times and have given me the lowdown (seen loads of pics and heard tons of stories) I'm sure you know all about it.

If the beach is a concern, then I would stick with the VIM, especially if you're concerned about an ocean view room. Most of the oceanfront rooms at EDSS are close to the beach, but it's hard to see the ocean from your room because the vegetation is blocking it. I know the beach at VIM is wide and swimmable. This is not the case at EDSS. Although we loved it there, the water was too shallow for me to get in a good swim or even snorkel and there is a lot of coral. Certain spots have soft sand, but for the most part, the beach is not the best.

Hope this helps.

St. Louis
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Valentin or El Dorado Seaside for Honeymoon?

Thank you both for your input!

Yucatanlover - One of the reasons we were interested in EDSS was because we had such good food at the Royale. But, if it smells (sounds awful) then that's reason enough for me to select VIM. We are leaning toward booking the Emerald Suite...have you stayed in one before? If so, in your opinion, how does it compare to other room types?

Also, when we were there last year, Mar y Tierra was closed for renovations. I see that these restaurants have breakfast and lunch. Are they buffet or a la carte?

Jeanbee - We appreciate your info on the EDSS beach. We actually really liked the VIM beach and are surprised by the negative reviews we read on Trip Advisor.

Thank you both again for taking the time to post! Much appreciated!!!!

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Valentin or El Dorado Seaside for Honeymoon?

We had zero issues with smells at EDSS and it is one of our favorite resorts, excellent rooms, food and service. Have not stayed at VIM nor ever really considered it as an option.

Toronto
Level Contributor
330 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Valentin or El Dorado Seaside for Honeymoon?

I'll second what Caviargal said: We had no issues with smells at EDSS whatsoever.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,042 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Valentin or El Dorado Seaside for Honeymoon?

The VIM is NOT a good choice if you're looking for good ocean views from the rooms. Most of the buildings are set back from the beach and there's a lot of vegetation and jungle all around.

I haven't stayed in an Emerald suite but got to view one last week. The problem with them is that there are only a few which really have a great view; the rest have the view at least partially obscured by vegetation and on the ground floor, many of the suites have no view at all. You can certainly increase your odds of getting a view by requesting a upper floor room but there's no guarantee you'll get that - and then you'll have spent all that money for nothing.

I suppose if I really HAD to upgrade, I'd go for a Golden suite - but bear in mind you're running the risk of ending up with two double (queen) beds as those suites come in both that configuration and a king bed version.

For more info on my take on the different room categories, here's my cut-and-pasted response from another thread to a poster who asked which was my favourite room:

Favorite room? (category?) The resort graciously acquiesced to my request to see an Emerald Room and a Diamond suite, so now I've seem them all. Here's my synposis:

- deluxe juniors - best located and perfectly nice rooms. They come in king bed and two double (queen) bed configurations though and whilst you can submit requests, there are no guarantees as to what bed configuration you'll get;

- Silvers- close to restaurants but further away from beach. Some people have issues with the lack of privacy in the bathroom but you'll get a tub big enough for two and are guaranteed a king bed as that's the only configuration they come in;

- Goldens - more square footage, so a larger, more separate sitting area. Double sized tub and there's a bidet in the bathroom too.

- Emeralds - the bathrooms certainly have the WOW factor and the tub is enormous. However, I thought the room itself was a bit ordinary and whereas the layout of the lower priced suites have a more separated feel to the sitting area (especially the Goldens), to me the Emerald just felt like a standard (albeit rather nice) hotel room with a sofa in the corner. It was dark when we viewed the (upper floor) suite, so I've no idea what the view was like but suspect it was largely obscured by the vegetation. It's worth noting that there are no elevators on the Emerald buildings either, so if you have any issues with stairs at all, you're going to be stuck on a ground floor unit and will almost certainly have no view at all;

- the Diamond Suites are located on the top floors, at the ends of the Golden buildings (6, 7 and 8). They are HUGE and are a proper suite in that you have a totally separate sitting room (with dining table) and even a separate powder room. The bedroom is HUGE with another sitting area and a hot tub is located on the balcony. If you're travelling with a group, I could see one couple splurging on this sort of room and then everyone using it as a place to meet for cocktails prior to dinner and that sort of thing but otherwise I can't think what I'd do with all that extra space. My understanding is that the Imperial suites are pretty much identical although their balcony space is larger. Those suites are on the top floors (at the ends) of buidlings 1 though 5.

In a nutshell, I would never pay for an upgraded room at the VIM as I'd prefer to stay in a "cheap" room for an extra day or two instead - but I feel that way about ALL resorts. However, at the VIM, I've been lucky enough to receive a comp upgrade to Golden twice now and am grateful for that.

Hope this helps and congrats on your upcoming nuptials.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Valentin or El Dorado Seaside for Honeymoon?

The smell that Yucatan refers to IS NOT from sewage. It really is from the mangroves. Since the mangroves back up to the entire resort, you smell it. It is a natural process of decomposition and is not sewage. The reason you smell it at times at the EDSS (and the EDM) is that those two resorts are not built towards the highway (and thereby destroying the mangrove ecosystem) but along the beach so the mangroves still exist.

Here is a link with more info: talkingnature.com/2010/…

Congrats and good luck in your decision! We have been to the EDSS 8 times but now prefer the EDM (visit #7 in November) due to its much smaller size.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
231 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Valentin or El Dorado Seaside for Honeymoon?

Yes we had great food at the Royale and the seaside.. The smell from our room Building 25 was so strong My husband put wet washclotrhes over the sink and the tub drain to control it . .We were in Building 25.. I did not say all the blocks had an issue . just the original ones..

We like no wrist bands and not having to make reservations for dinner.

We Like the Emerald Suites because we can hear the ocean when we go to sleep and so far have been lucky and had a room with a decent view.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Valentin or El Dorado Seaside for Honeymoon?

YL, I did not mean to imply that you said all buildings had a sewage problem, but I was explaining what it actually was. Funny enough for 6 of our 8 visits we stayed in room 2515!

Edited: 23 October 2012, 21:17
North Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
378 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Valentin or El Dorado Seaside for Honeymoon?

I have not been yet, but I am going to EDSS in February. I have read so so many reviews now and so many of them are written by people saying they had such a wonderful honeymoon. I can honestly say that from all the reviews I have read there is no mention of any smells. There are common issues that come up in many reviews. 1 the food is amazing. 2 the service is outstanding. And 3. Not everyone is happy with the beach.

Hope that helps a little.

Happy travels..