We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mayakoba and Dengue fever risk?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chicago, il
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mayakoba and Dengue fever risk?

Hello all. We are supposed to go to the Banyan Tree Mayakoba over Xmas with our 3 young children (ages 2, 5, 7) and have been worried about reports of dengue fever in mexico/cancun (I know its in the keys too).

I am particularly worried about our upcoming stay because mayakoba is essentially all jungle and mangroves (right)? Is there a higher threat there for mosquitos with dengue? I am worried that we shouldn't go on this trip and would love feedback on the mosquitos currently in Mayakoba and dengue in the region. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Embarrass, Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,762 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mayakoba and Dengue fever risk?

Yup, really heavy on the waterways and mangroves. Stock up on Deet before you go. Find out if your room comes with mosquito netting ...it might be a tip off.

Their mosquitoes are a bit smaller than the mid-western ones I am used to. Protect yourself (exposed skin) early in the morning and evening when the mossies are buzzing. If they get bad head for the beach and those Carribean breezes.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,726 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mayakoba and Dengue fever risk?

I dont believe you will have any problems at such an upscale place. You can be sure they will do a good job of mosquito prevention in a place like that. I had dengue and you dont want it but think it happened to me because I was not careful in going out on the island of Cozumel.

Doesnt hurt to have the spray and take precautions but believe you will be ok there.

Canada
Level Contributor
5,016 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mayakoba and Dengue fever risk?

it's important to remember to protect yourself (with deet) especially during the afternoon.

Dengue virus is primarily transmitted by Aedes mosquitoes, They bite primarily during the day.

chicago, il
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Mayakoba and Dengue fever risk?

Ok thanks everyone. Is dengue more of a problem in mayakoba, than other places (e.g., Maroma, etc)?

Canada
Level Contributor
5,016 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mayakoba and Dengue fever risk?

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about Dengue, it's important to know its there , so that you can protect yourself.

I don't think its possible to tell where these type of mosquitos could be, so you may be better off at Mayakoba than elsewhere.

Edited: 25 October 2012, 04:45
Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
631 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mayakoba and Dengue fever risk?

December is not a big mosquito month, usually. There is always the possibility of dengue in tropical areas but the chances of contacting it are relatively small. I have lived here for years and never had dengue nor has anyone in my family. A couple of friends have. Not fun but the risk factor is very small. My advice would be to bring protection (the bites alone are worth that) and don't look for problems that are highly unlikely to present themselves.

As far as location goes, I don't think mosquitoes care too much about the rates of the hotel. All resorts have mosquito eradication programs. I am sure Mayakoba uses the same repellant as every other resort.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mayakoba and Dengue fever risk?

I can only find one case (a death) from Dengue in the Playa area. Some cases in Cancun.

Click on the red dots in the maps to find out more (most of it is in spanish).

(link to a dengue map)

http://www.healthmap.org/dengue/index.php

8. Re: Mayakoba and Dengue fever risk?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2013, 10:19