We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

chichen itza and ek balam

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
567 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
chichen itza and ek balam

Thinking of renting a car and driving to chichen itza, ek balam and ik kil for day trip. Is this too much for one day?staying in playacar. Also what's the best route? Through Tulum or Cancun?

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,994 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: chichen itza and ek balam

Get the Mayan Adventure map from cancunmap.com

I would go to C. Itza first especially if you can get there near the 800 AM opening.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
567 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: chichen itza and ek balam

Co pilot you are quick. Just got my mapchicks today. Never rented a car on mainland, only Cozumel. I am a little bit nervous. Have only done tours. Any recommendation for playa car rental.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,994 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: chichen itza and ek balam

I used Isis. I talked to Margarita at her location in town and she arranged the rental.

http://www.islacozumel.net/services/isis/

You can ask in the Playa del Carmen forum for other options.

I took the Cancun to Valladolid toll road to see Ek Balam, then went to the Dzitnup cenote near Valladolid. I returned using the road to Coba then east to Tulum but I did not note the driving time difference.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,994 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: chichen itza and ek balam

I suggest leaving in the morning. Go to Ek Balam then cenotes Dzitnup and Samula.

Spend the night in Valladolid or near C. Itza.

Be at C. Itza when it opens at 800 AM.

When done, go to Ik Kil cenote then on to Coba if you have time.

Ek Balam via rental car:

http://tinyurl.com/6kzrhwk

Edited: 27 October 2012, 01:17
Hilltown...
Level Contributor
2,707 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: chichen itza and ek balam

We're doing that same trip. Playacar to Chichen Itza, Ik Kil, Ek Balam and Valladolid. We reserved a van and driver for the day since there are 10 of us going. Very reasonable rates.

We know that it will be a long day but we can nap in the van on the way there and back.

Ohio
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: chichen itza and ek balam

Who did you rent your van from? We have 8 people going in Jan. To the grand princess thinking about coba and akumel maybe check what ek bakam or Tulum is about.

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
614 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: chichen itza and ek balam

There is another way to see both Chichen Itza and EkBalam. Great for late risers like us, and we still get to see it all and more!

Reserve one night in Valladolid. Leave Playa later in the morning, go to Valladolid, check in and/or have lunch there. Or, enjoy a Cenote.

Then go to Chichen Itza around 3 or 4 pm, explore (not very busy at that time - plus pictures are better in the afternoon) and stay for Light and Sound Spectacular, starts I think at 7. One hour. Return to Valladolid (30 minutes), have dinner, walk around main square. It is like being in a different world and time.

Next (late) morning - Ek Balam. 30 minutes. The place is amazing, but it is compact and 2, max 3 hours is enough. Then, you have a whole afternoon ahead - Coba, or Tulum, or back to Playa for dinner with enough energy left.

Hard to enjoy in a single day EkBalam, Chichen Itza, Cenote and/or Coba.

Edited: 31 October 2012, 01:24
Hilltown...
Level Contributor
2,707 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: chichen itza and ek balam

Hi Sassy - We are using Salvador with TransportationsCancan dot com - make sure you put the "S" on transportation or you get a totally different website.

He has been great to deal with. They have a 9 and a 12 person van available and you can either pay through Paypal or cash at pick up.

Salvador's email address is info@transportationscancun.com

Kimberly

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
1,909 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: chichen itza and ek balam

@Mosaic: Your itinerary would have been good even last year, but not now, for two reasons. One, the light and sound show at Chichen has been cancelled until some undetermined date in 2013. And two, while crowds thin out in the late afternoon, the vendors are still in full force, at least according to folks who have been there recently.

To the original question, the quickest route is toward Cancun (provided you don't go into Cancun but jump onto the road to the Cuota toll road first); the shortest route is via Tulum. It is more than doable in a day, but it's a lot of driving. You have to leave at 6 or before and head straight to Chichen Itza. After wandering around Chichen, stop at Ik Kil, then head to Ek Balam (stopping for lunch in Valladolid). You should be done by 3 or so which gives you barely enough time to get back to Playa by dark.

Have a great trip.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
567 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: chichen itza and ek balam

Thank you for all of the suggestions. We are leaning towards towards two guided tours. One to Coba/Punta Laguna/Grand Cenote. The other Chichen Itza/Ik Kil/Ek Balam. But also thinking doing just one to Coba and Ek Balam. Having a hard time deciding. Will be in Playa Del Carmen in five days.