We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tennis shoes or not

Bakersfield...
Level Contributor
262 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
tennis shoes or not

Do we need tennis shoes for the ruins at Tulum? or will flip flops be ok?

Canada
Level Contributor
5,194 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tennis shoes or not

no need for tennis shoes at Tulum, its fairly small and mostly level grounds.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,017 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: tennis shoes or not

No tennis courts at Tulum Ruins

flip flops are best

ohio
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tennis shoes or not

I find tennis shoes are more comfortable for me when I do a lot of walking.

I usually wear my tennis shoes on the plane. I take flip flops for the resort, but that is just me, my back needs the support when I plan on a lot of walking. Go with what you are comfortable with!

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tennis shoes or not

I have seen all kinds of shoes and sandals worn by people at the ruins. However, I highly recommend a comfortable pair of walking shoes (tennis shoes are OK). While the terrain is basically flat, it is not all smooth and there are some rocks, gravel, small holes, brush, and insect’s that can be hard on unprotected feet (as in sandals). You are in a subtropical climate and you do not want to get a cut (or bite) on your feet with the possibility of infection.

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,334 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tennis shoes or not

I wear only flip flops on vacation. Even ziplining. That said, the terrain to get up to the most beautiful photo ops is a little iffy with smooth (almost slippery) rocks in areas and as Bob said, loose gravel. You do have to be more cautious in flip flops.

Milford Michigan
Level Contributor
821 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tennis shoes or not

I agree that tennis shoes, sneakers, walking shoes work best.

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
5,001 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tennis shoes or not

Flip flops are fine as long as you are not wlking with your head in the clouds. The terrain for the most part is gravel walkways with some very minor hills. You will be more comfy with the heat with them as well. As far as bites if something that would bite you on the foot will still bite your exposed leg. Flippy floppies all the way !! And make sure you have your swimsuit as at the base if Tulum is a great spot for a swim and relax ! Enjoy

Presho, South Dakota
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tennis shoes or not

I have a great pair of walking sandals from Naturalizer. They are great for airports, shopping & sightseeing.

After I came home from vacation 1 year with sore feet from cheap sandals, i bought them. Now I am on my 3rd pair. They are pretty much all I wear in the summer.

At the resort - flip flops!

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tennis shoes or not

A good pair of strap on sandals that you can wear right in the ocean if you please are one of the best travel investment a person can make . We walk a lot on vacation and I always seem to wear away some skin somewhere on my problem feet that can go balistic if you don't have a variety of footwear to rotate. Our last trip I was particularly stupid and wore some shower sandals the short walk to the beach because we were only going to have our first beach margarita , JUST ONE , and walk barefoot both ways on the beach and go back to the room a bit clean up and then hit Fifth Ave . The thing is , those margaritas are potent and there's music and we had some ceviche and another globo of margaritas and then some dinner and drinks and then we just wandered Fifth as we were . The trouble was I didn't think to clean the sand from between my foot and the sandal and wore a huge raw patch of the top of my foot . I know better but repeated a painful mistake . I wear runners at night when there's less chance of walking somewhere wet or sandy to give my feet a break . Good flip flops are okay for a potential multi purpose day in Tulum .

Edited: 28 October 2012, 16:38
Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tennis shoes or not

We love to hike around anywhere we go and I learned my lesson the hard way. Went flying through the air because I was wearing flip flops. Now I only wear my Teva hiking sandals. They are amazing. Can even get them wet. There are other brands out there too but I love my Teva's.