We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adult only 6 Apple Sqare deals, Would you book???

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new hampshire
Level Contributor
413 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Adult only 6 Apple Sqare deals, Would you book???

I need some assistance, just booked a adult only 6 sq deal, if you have been , please let me know if you were pleased and where you went. its alot of $$$ and I want a smaller tropical resort, any feed back would be great. Thanks alot

West Chester, PA
Level Contributor
4,099 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Adult only 6 Apple Sqare deals, Would you book???

Did you already book?

The best thing to do is look at the list of possible hotels that are 6 apple. Look at the prices these resorts are going for if you pay outright as opposed to being surprised. If it's a big price difference from the lowest priced resort to the square deal price and you don't mind being surprised, go for it. You should always assume you will be placed at the lowest priced of the 6 apple resorts (and if you end up at one of the higher priced ones, you will just be pleasantly surprised).

I did a square deal several years ago and went to Secrets Capri when it was a lot nicer than it is now. We were not disappointed at all. But I'm really not sure I would do it again - I really like to know where I'm going so I can research the place to death. ;)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Adult only 6 Apple Sqare deals, Would you book???

You can be booked anywhere near playa to resorts 30 minutes away. Some big and some small. Near Playa would be the Royal or Royal Hideaway. Lots of resorts between Cancun and Playa plus more near Tulum.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Adult only 6 Apple Sqare deals, Would you book???

We did the 6 Apple AO Square Deal just this past September. We got Secrets Capri. Loved it. It was our second time there. We had booked the same deal in September 2011 and stayed at Capri.

We were at The Royal Playa Del Carmen in July. Hands down we enjoyed Capri so much more. It is smaller, the service is much more personalized, and the overall layout of the resort is easier to get around. Don't have to play the towel game, or be subjected to the stupid "Bump and Grind" show (Otherwise known as the "Crazy Game" at 3'oclock.) They also enforce the floaties not leaving the pool. At the Royal, people actually took them back to their rooms, and no one stopped them. For what we paid, I expected better. I will never get my husband to go back to the Royal.

To get to Playa Del Carmem, just walk down the sidewalk from the resort to the hotel to catch the collectivo or bus.

I would book this deal again and again. You will probably get Capri or Silversands. Don't sweat it.

Chicago
Level Contributor
678 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Adult only 6 Apple Sqare deals, Would you book???

We did this last year, but probably would not do it again. We ended up at Secrets Capri, which was just OK with us. Considering how much I enjoy researching where we're going ahead of time, it was probably not the best idea to book a Square Deal. But if you're more laid back about these things, and the costs savings are significant, then why not?

Johnstown...
Level Contributor
1,851 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Adult only 6 Apple Sqare deals, Would you book???

Did the 6 apple adults only square deal in May and ended up at Secrets Silversands - which is exactly where I figured I'd end up since it was the least expensive option when I checked rates a few days before going.

With the square deals you usually end up at an AMResort managed property (Secrets, NOW, Dreams, Sunscape, Zoetry) since AMR is a sister company of Apple Vacations. And you generally (but not always) end up at the one that would be cheapest to book since that generally means it has the lowest occupancy and they try to fill the resoty.

There is always a chance you will end up at a nonAMR property (especially if they are well booked), with the AO deal I researched before hand and most people ended up at SSS or Secrets Capri with a few getting Secrets Maroma Beach but very few got anything other than an AMR property.

Even so I saved about $250pp booking the AO square deal over booking the SSS.

The key is to look at what resorts fall into the category you're booking and decide if you'd be happy at the least expensive one and whether it's cheaper to just book that resort. There' aren't many 6 apple AO resorts so its a smaller pool the 3 most likely are SSS, Capri and more rarely Secrets Maroma Beach with the tiniest chance of one of the others (Aventura Spa Palace, Blue Diamond, IB* Grand, Royal Hideaway, VIM, and the rest that I can't remember). Look on apple's site to see what resorts are in the AO category and see if you'd be happy with the one that is cheapest to book directly (usually SSS or SC). If not then don't do the square deal you'll be happier booking the resort you want rather than ending up somewhere you won't be as happy - vacation time is too precious to spend it somewhere you may not be happy.

nik

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Adult only 6 Apple Sqare deals, Would you book???

My daughter in law does this often and really has not been disappointed, but she also looks at the resorts and save a lot of $$$$.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Adult only 6 Apple Sqare deals, Would you book???

I just booked the one for Cancun. There are only 4 possible hotels that I can end up and the lowest price hotel (where I wanted to stay in the first place) will end up being approx. $700 cheaper by booking it with the square deal. So for me, it was a no brainer. I did the Secrets Riviera Maya Square Deal last summer and ended up at SSS, which was great!!

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Adult only 6 Apple Sqare deals, Would you book???

It may be cheaper, but I like to do my research on a hotel...little chance to do that when you find out the day before (or at airport on day of) where you are going.

9. Re: Adult only 6 Apple Sqare deals, Would you book???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2013, 10:18