We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there an "old" section in Playa del Carmen?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New England
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
Is there an "old" section in Playa del Carmen?

Having been to Puerto morelos and Isla Mujeres, both of which have lots of character and rustic charm, I wondered if this exists at all in Playa and if so where? I fully realize that Playa has explded in recent years and hoped some of the charm may still be there somewhere.

South Wales
Level Contributor
239 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there an "old" section in Playa del Carmen?

Shame none of the local experts picked up on this question. I'm wondering the same thing myself.

New England
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there an "old" section in Playa del Carmen?

I am sure they will answer this today. I've noticed that activity on these forums is often less over the weekend.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there an "old" section in Playa del Carmen?

I've been traveling to the area for 25 or so years. Does that qualify? My understanding is the "old" section would have to have developed near the pier. It was a fishing village.

I remember a Playa that was so vastly different in those years, people today would never recognize it. There's been unbelievable development. A lot of dirt roads. 5th ave was nothing.

playa del carmen
Level Contributor
290 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there an "old" section in Playa del Carmen?

I agree with bellasogno-old playa was the beach to about 15th. 5th ended at 6th and it was a dirt road -one telephone in the town-very little electricity Our fishermen partner and good friend lived on bis 6(still does)between 40 and 45th-25 years ago that was mainly jungle. There was no colosio or ejido. Sorry but I just dont think you will find anything that would be considered old playa anymore.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,018 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there an "old" section in Playa del Carmen?

I am not expert in Playa but tend to agree with bella. The old part is near the ferry pier. When I first went, I stayed at a hotel on a dirt road with little around. Now its near Walmart. But if looking for ¨old Mexico¨ or something historic, I have never really seen anything of interest.

ny
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there an "old" section in Playa del Carmen?

If we are talking history, I remember meat hanging from a hook at a local butcher near the Red Cross , with practically all local stores selling sandals/flip flops.This was as late as the late 90's. Friends of ours who reside in Playa, as well as the states, ( since '84)told is that they knew that the butcher had fresh meat as a cow was tied up at the gate. Sure glad that has long been abandoned. Seems like many of the vendors who sold , blankets, puppets, and sombreros, have long been replaced by

Starbucks, Columbia Emeralds, Diesel Jeans, Johnny Rockeys, etc.Of course Playa del

Carmen still has a large area where the locals live.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,662 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there an "old" section in Playa del Carmen?

Playa was only about 8 square blocks near the ferry dock. Not much of an old section. The growth is off the charts. La Terraya is the oldest restaurant located on the beach and 2 Calle. From the ferry dock up to 5th Avenida And then north to about 4 Calle is the oldest section of Playa. Not much to look at, looks like a flea market. It is pretty around the park next to the sea. There is a pretty little white church on the NW corner. Playa was nothing more than a small fishing village, where you caught the ferry to Cozumel. Now it's a city of 300,000 and growing.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,018 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there an "old" section in Playa del Carmen?

I remember meat hanging from a hook at a local butcher ¨

Thats no longer common in tourist areas but still very common in Mexico. I see it in all the small towns and markets and even in Merida, the areas largest city.Playa and Cancun dont really have large markets where the locals shop but its one of my favorites places to go in Valladolid and Merida.

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,394 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there an "old" section in Playa del Carmen?

There are a few really , really old Mayan buildings , including right behind Wah Wah beach bar that no one tries to cash in on , lending them all the more charm to my mind but nothing colonial or even Deco . No existo

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is there an "old" section in Playa del Carmen?

DuncanH: Playa has expanded greatly over the years but we do think there are still places you can capture that Playa spirit. In the resort zone try the far end of 5th avenue north of Calle 38th. It is quieter, less hustle with some nice cafes and restaurants. And walk along 30th avenue. Starting at Constituyentes and heading north it is the main artery through local neighborhoods. There are no large open air markets and you won't find anything very fancy or touristy. It's just block after block of small restaurants and stores where the locals go to shop and eat. On the side streets you can find fresh seafood and butcher stores. It is a world away from 5th avenue. That is the real "old" Playa.

Tony and Cheri