We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone rent a condo and charged for electric???

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Anyone rent a condo and charged for electric???

My wife and i are renting a condo now and were told we might be charged for using to much electric .has anyone been told this or know of anyone latetly that this has happened to.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,621 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone rent a condo and charged for electric???

Electricity is very expensive in Mexico. It's pretty hard to find an electrical outlet in many hotels, condos and resorts. I usually bring an adaptor to get more outlets for my phone charger, etc. This is the first time I've heard that someone is going to monitor one's electric power usage.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
1,582 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone rent a condo and charged for electric???

Yes, this is very common in Mexico because of the cost of the electricity and also people tend to leave air conditioning on and generally waste electricity if they are not paying for it. You tend to be alot more observant this way. As long as the condo/rental is an OK deal I don't mind to pay extra for it. I stay a month at a time and have paid no more than $100 bucks for the electricity, but I guess this can very greatly depending on the rental.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,621 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone rent a condo and charged for electric???

I've stayed at hotels where you need to put the key card into a slot to run the air conditioning. When you leave the room you take your key card and the A/C is shut off. Makes sense to me.

alberta
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone rent a condo and charged for electric???

This is new to me. We have rented a number of condos in the area and have never been told we may have to pay for electricity.

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,119 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone rent a condo and charged for electric???

We rented a condo where the first 250 (Kilowatts or whatever) was free, but if we exceeded that we would pay extra. It became a part of the vacation. Me going out and reading the meter at the end of the day to check usage. We only ran one load of laundry when otherwise we would have washed all our clothes at the end of the trip. Minimum use of the air conditioner because she said if we use the AC we WILL go over. Later I did the math and we probably would have only spent an extra $50.00 to use the extra power.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,954 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone rent a condo and charged for electric???

It is more common to pay for electrical use on monthly stays.

The meters are digital, and are "read" when you check-in and again when you leave x the cost per k/wh, is what you pay. The rates vary by the area you are renting in and past usage. If you don;t watch what you use it can be quite high - Maybe 250us. Your condo owner should be able to give you a good idea of the possible costs.

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
5,001 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone rent a condo and charged for electric???

So I guess staying in a condo vs an AI is getting more expensive now isn't it. Hmm interesting

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,101 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone rent a condo and charged for electric???

I agree ROMY, definately something to consider.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,954 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone rent a condo and charged for electric???

For longer rentals, I think it can still be cheaper than AI ( it always has been for us). As mexicojan said I think $100us would be a more normal amount. The thing is, to be aware of it. Electric ranges , air, washers and dryer are big users. I think the electrical rates in Playacar are higher than Playa.And some rentals still have elecrtric included.

Edited: 20 November 2012, 15:07
10. Re: Anyone rent a condo and charged for electric???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 November 2012, 17:05