We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

40 minute layover - Arriving Atlanta going to CUN

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bloomfield, New York
Level Contributor
292 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
40 minute layover - Arriving Atlanta going to CUN

is that enough time? Delta just emailed us that they changed our layover from 55 minutes (bad enough) to 40 minutes...will we have to go through some type of customs in ATL?

i hear tell that ATL is notorious for late arrivals.

do we have any options, or should we just risk it?

if we miss the connecting flight to CUN, will Delta "take care" of us and put us on the next plane down there?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,685 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 40 minute layover - Arriving Atlanta going to CUN

You dont go through customs at Atlanta going to Cancun. Having said that, I would not want a 40 minute connection in Atlanta. If everything is perfect and your gates are not too far apart, you and your luggage may make it. I hope it all goes well for you.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 40 minute layover - Arriving Atlanta going to CUN

It is very straightforward to get from gate to gate in ATL. But your Cancun flight probably departs from the new international terminal and I agree that your bags making the connection could be a problem...it's a long way for them to go. Give Delta a call and if there simply aren't any options just make sure you take a carry-on with your first day essentials. Have a great trip.

Bloomfield, New York
Level Contributor
292 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 40 minute layover - Arriving Atlanta going to CUN

ok i'll call them tomorrow. will delta deliver our 2 suitcases to the resort in PDC?

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,864 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 40 minute layover - Arriving Atlanta going to CUN

I would also put a huge 8 1/2 by 11 note right in your suitcase on top of your clothes that says your hotel where you are at and the dates. Maybe include a phone # of the hotel. If perhaps your bag is opened they will see that note. I always do it as well and I would make sure you personally write the kind of suitcase you have: name, color, how many pockets etc and keep those notes with you in case it is lost.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 40 minute layover - Arriving Atlanta going to CUN

Atlanta is in the USA...There are no Custom requirements as you haven't left the country to have a inspection happen. 40 minutes is normal for Minimum Connect Times for the same carrier. You will have to go through Immigrations and Customs when you return. That would be my main concern.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,864 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 40 minute layover - Arriving Atlanta going to CUN

I also remember when we were on Alaska Air they had switched our flights to be really close as well... coming home from Puerto Vallarta. As we were transferring planes and grabbing our previous checked on luggage/bags we rounded the corner and Alaska Air personnel were yelling to us: "What is your name?" We were yelling our ID information as we were running towards them and they were checking us in. When we got to them, they grabbed our bags and said RUN to "so and so" gate and do not stop for anything! Oh dear! By the time we got there we were out of breath and we barely made it as they were closing the doors!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,864 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 40 minute layover - Arriving Atlanta going to CUN

Dan_Kom

Yep! That was us!!!

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 40 minute layover - Arriving Atlanta going to CUN

"if we miss the connecting flight to CUN, will Delta "take care" of us and put us on the next plane down there?"

the "next" plane may not be available, and the NEXT AVAILABLE may not be for at LEAST another day.

as to airline delivering luggage to the hotel...good luck with that. If they find your luggage. I would not use ATL unless I had a minimum of 2 hours, just to be on the safe side.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,685 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 40 minute layover - Arriving Atlanta going to CUN

It will likely work out. But agree with Karen, the next plane down may not be very soon.

U.S.
Level Contributor
2,082 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 40 minute layover - Arriving Atlanta going to CUN

Atlanta is a huge airport. Last yearwhile flying into atlanta on Delta they lost my daughters luggage when we went to jamaica. She didn't have a carry on with any bathing suit suit or something to get her by. 3 days into the vacation they found her luggage and delivered it to the resort finaly. Oh......that was after they had plane problems and got us to Jamaica a day late. Delta wouldn't pay for us to stay an extra day. They would only give us each $100 vouchers after ruining a day and having the missing luggage. Thanks Delta! So yes.....take that carry on with a few days to get you by onthe resort. I would also check if there are other flights going to your final destination that day and how full they are as you get closer to your travel date or you might be spending the night in an atlanta hotel like we did.