We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valentin - Size of resort???

Layton, Utah
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Valentin - Size of resort???

We are considering VIM for our May 2013 destination. So many of the reviews we've read refer to the place as HUGE, with hikes required between the beach, the rooms and the restaurants.

Anyway, we've been to Grand Palladium three times an although it is considered a "mega-resort", we've never had any issues walking ANYWHERE - the place has 1,550 rooms!!!

We've looked at the VIM resort maps and don't see anything nearly as expansive as GP. What's the deal with all the comments about long walks to go anywhere?

Thanks,

V'Crawlers

Edited: 29 November 2012, 01:17
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,041 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Valentin - Size of resort???

I've been to the VIM four times and whilst I'll concede that it has a big footprint for the number of rooms (540), I really don't understand the complaints about the size. At most it's about a 10 minute walk (15 minute stroll) from the remotest rooms to where most of the a la carte restaurants are located. The pathways are beautifully landscaped and I find walking aournd the resort to be a pleasure.

The pathways are a bit uneven though and whilst I have no problem teetering around in 4 inch stilletos, some people do, so you might want to be aware of that. If you have mobility issues, you can always call for a bell boy to pick you up in a golf cart.

I've stayed at a mega resort too, the Barcelo Maya, and there was TONS more walking involved there but strangely (and just like the GP), no-one ever seems to mention it.

Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Valentin - Size of resort???

Hmmm...well compared to Sandos Playacar-I think the VIM was tiny. No issues what so ever with walking, and I wore 4 inch heels to dinner every night!

Edited: 29 November 2012, 04:37
Brockville, Canada
Level Contributor
640 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Valentin - Size of resort???

We never had any issues with the size and found it was maybe a 10 minute walk from end-to-end.

The grounds are beautiful and well maintained so we really enjoyed evening walks especially after a big meal.

The resort is very nice and I'm sure you'll love it!

Texas
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Valentin - Size of resort???

I guess we've never stayed at a "mega resort" and probably don't want to based on the comments above. We've been to VIM 3 times now and felt that the walking was a bit much on occasion. Grant it I am constantly on the move during the day so I guess some of it is self-imposed. We like to go from the beach to the pool several times while the suns out & that's where our main complaint at VIM is. If they'd add more beach loungers to the area of beach closest to the walkways that would be different. As it stands now, unless you get your beach chairs super early or play the towel game (which we refuse to do) it can be a hike to get a chair on the beach.

We're researching resorts for next August right now and one of the biggest things we're looking for is a very small beach to pool journey. When we stayed at Dreams Puerto Vallarta is was perfect for us, we could go back and forth dozens of times every day with minimal effort. I loved lounging in the infinity pool yet still being able to wave to my husband playing in the waves.

VIM is definitely doable, I wouldn't let the walking scare you away from the place. Like others have said the landscaping and ground are amazing. Every time we go we intentionally stroll around the resort at night when it's cooler because the ambiance is perfect.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
231 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Valentin - Size of resort???

At the Vim now. There are people in wheelchairs managing beautifully. Its a magical spot.>Staff are amazing food excellent. Please come you will luv it

Calgary
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,041 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Valentin - Size of resort???

"If they'd add more beach loungers to the area of beach closest to the walkways that would be different. "

Gawd, I thought they were crammed in cheek-by-jowl as it is. The beach isn't particularly wide there and I can't see that there's enough room to add more palapas. If you just wanted to put a lounger there and didn't care about shade, you can easily drag one there yourself. But yikes, I was there in low season and thought it was cramped.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
151 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Valentin - Size of resort???

I loved the Valentin! I think it may depend on where your room is as well, we stayed in the Emeralds in May 2011 and the walk wasn't too bad at all, maybe 5-10 minutes. We would walk the opposite way and that was about 15 minutes or so. Either way, it wasn't bad. Lovely music and romantic. Although next time, I would go with the basic room since we used the jacuzzi maybe twice and the basics seem closer to the pool, beach and restaurants.

We're thinking of doing the Royal Suites Yucatan, which I believe is in the same "complex" as Grand Palladium but I'm nervous about size....

Hope this helps!

Texas
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Valentin - Size of resort???

Llisa-after I wrote that I started thinking more about it and agree. In theory it would be nice if there were more shaded loungers right there but I would hate being any closer to my neighbors that you already are in that area.

Maybe I just need to work on my ADD and not go from pool to beach 20 times in one day :-)

Either way, as it stands right now, VIM is leading in resorts for my bday trip next year. I had my heart set on trying a new resort but VIM is special to us, I'd hate to spend more somewhere else and just constantly compare it to VIM.

Calgary
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,041 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Valentin - Size of resort???

"Maybe I just need to work on my ADD and not go from pool to beach 20 times in one day :-) "

LOL, yes, I think that might be a good idea!

"I'd hate to spend more somewhere else and just constantly compare it to VIM."

Welcome to my world. This is why I've been back to the VIM four times. I ALWAYS look at other comparable resorts but they're always so much more expensive. That said, I think I might take the plunge and try Secrets Silversands next time. I'd always written it off as it has a rep for a bad beach but having seen the beach with my own eyes, I realise it won't be an issue for me.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,026 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Valentin - Size of resort???

We're are headed back to VIM for our fifth visit in about two weeks. It is a terrific value and although we go elsewhere as well, it appears December and VIM are becoming standard fare for us.

SSS is a very nice resort (Secrets in general is). The beach is not anywhere as good as VIM, but it is a great resort.