We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal, Valentin Imperial or Azul Beach - Please Help! Thanks

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Royal, Valentin Imperial or Azul Beach - Please Help! Thanks

We are looking to have our wedding in the Mayan Riviera in or around June 2013. So excited!

We have narrowed down our choices to three resorts - Royal Playa Del Carmen, The Valentin Imperial or Azul Beach Hotel.

We like how the former two are adults only properties, but we like the smaller size of the third one. We have guests coming from far (e.g., Canada, U.S., and as far as South Africa), so we want to choose a location that they will all enjoy but that will also be good for our wedding. We are very confused as to which one we should choose. Any suggestions or help people could provide would be appreciated!! Thanks!!

Hull, Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal, Valentin Imperial or Azul Beach - Please Help! Thanks

We've stayed at two of the three and they are both beautiful resorts.VIM and the Royal are great places, but I liked the Royal the most. The size is very manageable and it's located in the heart of Playa Del Carmen. The staff is outstanding and they offer terrific concierge service. I would think that everyone in your group would like it here.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,946 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal, Valentin Imperial or Azul Beach - Please Help! Thanks

If it were me, I would choose RPDC so tha my guests could come and go to the resort as they please and are not confined to the grounds as everyone's idea of a fun time is different.

RPDC is beautiful and the location simply cannot be beat.

Timmins, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal, Valentin Imperial or Azul Beach - Please Help! Thanks

We've also stayed at both the RPDC and the VIM. Both had great food,excellent service and beautiful rooms. I don't think you can go wrong with either but if I had to choose between the two...VIM. We loved the lush tropical feeling of the resort (perfect for wedding pictures). The beach is nicer and the pools are unbelievable. We found that there was more to do at night. You didn't have to go off the resort to find fun. But, If you want to go into PDC it's only 15 min away ($30 taxi ride). We did talk to couples at both resorts who married there and didn't hear a bad comment about either resort. Check-out the resorts facebook pages and research what's important to you before deciding. For us, the VIM had more to offer and for a much better price. Good-luck!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,835 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal, Valentin Imperial or Azul Beach - Please Help! Thanks

I've stayed at the VIM four times and it's no secret that I'm a fan of the place but I tend to agree with Happy Bubble - RPDC would be a better choice. I'm basing that solely on location. If your guests want to wander off site and visit other bars, restaurants, clubs and get some retail therapy as well, it's all right there on your doorstep. I think the VIM is more than 15 minutes away from PdC - more like 30 minutes (or perhaps the traffic was bad the day I went) but concur that the cab fare is about USS$25-30 each way.

Toronto
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Royal, Valentin Imperial or Azul Beach - Please Help! Thanks

Thanks everyone for your responses. There seem to be positives and negatives which each one but we agree that being right in Playa is a great bonus when you stay at RPDC. Its an easy choice when you're just planning a trip for yourself but becomes much more difficult when you try to take into account what all your guests may like!

Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Royal, Valentin Imperial or Azul Beach - Please Help! Thanks

Also you must keep in mine with RPDC being right in PDC and it is nice. There will be plenty of beach venders on the beach selling just about everything.. They can get annoying at times if you want to walk the beach. The time share guys are the worse IMHO they will offer you the world just to take there time share tour.

At the VIM you will see them also (vendors not timeshare) but only a few and they are not as pushy like in playacar. The beach heading north (to the left as you face the ocean) at the VIM was pretty good for walking.

The Azul resort has an award here for being a good family all inclusive. Depending on when in june your looking to go it could have planty of kids running around since school ends in may and june for most kids.. Also just to the south is Desire which is an au natural resort so walking the beach there you could get an eyeful

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Royal, Valentin Imperial or Azul Beach - Please Help! Thanks

Been to both VIM and RPDC. if you'd prefer a more intimate setting, choose VIM. At RPDC it was wedding central, at least 2 per day. They paraded the wedding party past the main pool, where everyone at the pool witnessed them headed to their ceremony and I even saw people coming out of the pool to have pics taken with the bridal party.

It didn't seem like a private affair at RPDC, even for the reception. VIM has a beautiful fountain area off the lobby where guests wouldn't tend to go, great for a reception. Saw it set up at night prior to event and it was beautiful.

if your guests prefer to go to town often, then choose RPDC, but in my opinion, VIM is much better for a more intimate wedding.

Congratulations!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,682 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Royal, Valentin Imperial or Azul Beach - Please Help! Thanks

Like many others I've stayed at both VIM & RPDC. RPDC is in a great location, plus if you have guests with kids they can stay at the sister resort next door. My husband & I honeymooned at RPDC and loved it, our oceanfront room was right near the beach gazebo. We watched several weddings & like someone else mentioned they had tons of them in the week we were there. They might have another area besides the beach gazebo but I remember thinking that it wasn't very private. We were originally going to get married in Mexico but changed our minds due to several older/sick relatives. I remember thinking on our honeymoon that I was glad we didn't end up getting married in the RPDC gazebo, simply because it didn't seem very intimate.

VIM isn't in as good of a location but they have a beautiful open chapel that would be amazing for a wedding ceremony. You can't see the beach from it but it would be a breathtaking backdrop in pictures. Their beach is also very pretty but I've never seen anyone getting married on it. Come to think of it, I've never seen a wedding at all at the VIM. We saw a reception set-up one night & it was beautiful.

Feel free to message with any questions, good luck!

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
5,001 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Royal, Valentin Imperial or Azul Beach - Please Help! Thanks

At the Royal they do set up amazng beach weddings as well as at the wedding gazebo. Where the RPDC shines is at the amazing attention to detail as they set up for the after parties. They do an absolutely amazing job with the party set up on the beach or if your party is large enough they also do a huge party setup on the infield grass of the resort as well. They have a mobile dansefloor that lights up as you walk on it...it is really cool.

Toronto
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Royal, Valentin Imperial or Azul Beach - Please Help! Thanks

Thanks for all of the messages! It sounds like there might be more for our guests to do at the Royal given that it is in Playa, but it sounds like weddings at VIM might be more private.. Does anyone know about the Azul Beach hotel? It looks gorgeous in the photos. The only downside that we see is that it isn't adults only. This is going to be a tough decision...