We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking of making a return trip

Brooklyn, New York
1 post
Save Topic
Thinking of making a return trip

I traveled to PDC 3 years ago with a small group of my friends. We had an amazing time and felt very safe. Although even then there were concerns about safety in Mexico. I was assured the danger was other places and I was very happy I decided to go! I'm thinking of making a return trip with my boyfriend. And yet again people are saying Mexico isn't safe.... "It has changed since you went in 2009" people have said to me. According to some opinions the dangers have gotten worse... I would just like to have some feedback from some people who have recently traveled there. I loved my vacation and I really would love to come back. I know all too well that there are dangers everywhere and you have to be smart, I'm from New York and I know stereo types can really ruin people's perceptions.

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thinking of making a return trip

We go every year and there has not been that much of a change. You have been and know the truth. Just ignore those people. Also, read the information on the top right of this page regarding safety. You can even put the word "safety" in the search box and see hundreds of threads on this very topic. Go and have fun.

Hull, Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thinking of making a return trip

Funny, we were there three years ago with our family staying at the VIM. Heard all of the same concerns, but had a great safe trip. We just recently convinced our friends to give it a try despite people saying it's not safe. This time we stayed at the RPDC and loved it. We went out and about at night and didn't worry. We're talking about going back again next year.

Go and enjoy!

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,808 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thinking of making a return trip

Your friends are being influenced by the media. The "problems" are no where near the Playa area.

Hmmmm......there a shootings everyday in Philadelphia and New York so I guess no one should visit the US!

Texas
Level Contributor
3,767 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thinking of making a return trip

My husband & I didn't even let the swine flu outbreak stop us, we used it as a chance to take a super cheap vacation. We've never felt un-safe in Mexico & we've been visiting regularly since 2007.

If you're going to Cancun, Playa Del Carmen, Cozumel, Puerto Vallarta, Cabo, etc...you should be fine. There are plenty of threads about this very topic as well as the information on the right hand side.

Boylston...
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thinking of making a return trip

We have been going to Mexico for several years and just had another visit in November. Honestly, I'm sick of the comments I get before every visit, Oh, you're going to Mexico - it's not safe! Why would you want to go to Mexico? And so on and so on. I have never felt unsafe and it's my favorite place in the world. I've traveled all over and have NEVER had a problem in Playa.

I've felt unsafe in New Orleans during Marti Gras, in Venice with all the pickpockets, in London at the flea markets or on the tube but never in Mexico (except Tijuana!!) Also felt unsafe in New York City and other places in the US.

Edited: 10 December 2012, 15:52
Sylvan Lake, Canada
Level Contributor
3,090 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thinking of making a return trip

In the past year alone we have been to Mazatlan in November, December and February, Cabo in March and Playa Del Carmen in October and November. We are heading back to Mazatlan for Xmas and New Years and to Puerto Vallarta in March for Spring Break. We have never been unsafe in any of the areas in Mexico that we have travelled. Have a great trip!

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thinking of making a return trip

3 years ago, my DH promised a good friend that he would not let me go anywhere by myself. So, wanting to get some new bathing suits, he grumpily accompanied me on the collectivo and into Playa. As we got into the van to come home, he looked at me and said, you go yourself from now on if you want.

Enjoy but always keep your wits about you just like at home.

8. Re: Thinking of making a return trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 23:16