We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No Public Alcohol Consumption

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,829 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
No Public Alcohol Consumption

According to reports in local media, local officials will be enforcing strict rules regarding alcohol in public places during the upcoming holiday period. According to an article in todays Respuesta newspaper, ¨ on Fifth Avenue and 10 can not drink alcohol or cans, bottles of beer or anything,¨

The article in Spanish is here:

www.diariorespuesta.com.mx/092012/index.php…

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
5,001 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No Public Alcohol Consumption

They have been saying that for the last 2 years and I have been asked to discard my beer once out of the many times we have seen the policia.

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,606 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: No Public Alcohol Consumption

LOL: "...or anything." :-)

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,829 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No Public Alcohol Consumption

Well, I suppose ¨or anything¨ gives them options in enforcing the rules. I really doubt they will do it.

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
5,001 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No Public Alcohol Consumption

If you are beligerant you can expect to be looked at just like at home. The rule is if you act like a drunk you will have trouble.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,616 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No Public Alcohol Consumption

This past May my husband was told no drinking on the street and told to dump his beer. He did, but then we bought a bottle cozie and the police either never saw, paid attention or just let it go.

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
5,001 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No Public Alcohol Consumption

Time to get out the Red Solo Cup !! and have a party !!

Union, Kentucky
Level Contributor
25 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No Public Alcohol Consumption

A 12oz Insulated cup with a lid works!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,829 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No Public Alcohol Consumption

Really, I like to enjoy a drink as much as anyone but I have no problem doing it in restaurants and bars rather than on the street. It seems Playa officials have really been trying to clean up the image on 5th Av. and really I applaud them for their efforts. I know everyone has their own take on things and this is just mine.

New England
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: No Public Alcohol Consumption

I've always thought that walking the streets with an alcholic beverage to be "unnecessary". Fine inside a restaurant or bar or even right outside and fine on the beach imho.

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
5,001 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: No Public Alcohol Consumption

When we leave some bars they will pour your drink into a to go cup AKA red solo cup and we have never been bothered by anyone with that. I like to wander with a beverage and will continue to do so until I am instructed to not do it consistantly.